Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 4-tert-Butylcatechol
h0539
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-7-2023 at 08:19
4-tert-Butylcatechol

Hi. Today I unsuccessfully attempted to synthesise this by bubbling isobutylene through a solution of 10 g catechol dissolved in 200 ml of 50:50 water/ethanol by volume, with 1g of sulfuric acid as a catalyst. I was hoping the insoluble product would precipitate as it formed.

Naturally, it didn't work and the gas just bubbled out of the solution and nothing precipitated. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers as to why it was unsuccessful.

I was considering using a less polar solvent to dissolve more isobutylene, but the mechanism proceeds via cationic intermediates, so I wasn't sure.

Alternatively, I was considering a Friedel Crafts reaction with an excess of AlCl3, but this seemed more straightforward. Thanks.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 12-7-2023 at 14:10

I'm not an expert at FC alkylations, but I'm looking forward to whatever advice you get.

I'd expect that the water in the solution is a much stronger base than the isobutylene, and that's messing up the reaction. You might try a variation of this procedure: https://www.amherst.edu/system/files/media/0175/Exp14.pdf

If it wasn't for the hydroxyls on your aromatic ring, I'd also suggest FeCl3 and tBuCl in DCM instead of AlCl3 (I know it works on biphenyl), but phenols and FeCl3 may muck up.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.

Go To Top