Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of calcium acetate from clam shells
palico
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2024 at 15:51
Synthesis of calcium acetate from clam shells

Hello people,

Today I present the preparation of calcium acetate from clam shells and vinegar. As for eggshells, the reaction is a simple acid-base between acetic acid and calcium carbonate, which clam shells are made of.

reaction jpg.jpg - 69kB

Procedure

100 g of clean clam shells are weighed, inserted in a plastic bag, and crushed into pieces with a meat press. The pieces are introduced in a large glass jar: 1 liter of 6% vinegar is added. The reaction starts quickly, but it is less vigorous than eggshells in vinegar. After 2 hours, another liter of vinegar is added. The jar is left standing at room temperature for four days with occasional stirring. The reaction mixture is then filtered through a cotton plug. The filtrate is reduced in volume to half by heating it on a low flame.
Once done, the filtrate is poured into a casserole, letting water evaporate in the open air.
After one day, a crystalline jelly forms. The jelly is collected with a spoon, treated with 200 ml of acetone, and filtered through a cotton plug. The residue is pressed on paper and dried under sunlight to get 122 g of the very bright white crystalline solid. Considering clam shells as pure calcium carbonate and the product as monohydrate, it corresponds to a yield of 69.24%.

1685503417463.jpg - 2.4MB

Discussion

This experiment has positively surprised me. I considered clam shells much more impure calcium carbonate compared to eggshells, because of which I expected lower yield and yellow-colored product. Initially, I was thinking of collecting calcium acetate to pyrolyze it to acetone, but these white crystals are too fancy to burn: I do not.

To watch the entire procedure, I link you to my YT video.

Thanks for attention, see you next time.

palico

Transform waste into resources.
Animus tuus dominus.
YT Channel ZodaChem: https://www.youtube.com/@zodd0001/featured

Go To Top