Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitric acid bottles growing exterior crystals?
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-1-2024 at 05:33
Nitric acid bottles growing exterior crystals?

I have a bottle of nitric acid that's started growing crystals after a year or so. It's mostly around the cap. This has me mildly concerned about what it might be. This is most prevalent with my home made RFNA, my commercial 68% nitric acid is showing much less of this. What are these crystals? They are translucent, long, thin and very fragile.
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 21-1-2024 at 06:18

I don't know what the crystals are, but fuming nitric acid attack plastics. Even plastic caps from duran bottles are significantly damaged after a month. Only ground glass flasks and glass ampules are suitable for long term storage.

[Edited on 21-1-2024 by Bedlasky]
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 21-1-2024 at 06:46

Is it stored near anything volatile that could react with it, like ammonia? Perhaps it’s reacting in gas phase and depositing solids.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-1-2024 at 09:45

It most likely is ammonium nitrate, or amine nitrates. If you have animals (pets!) around, then this is even more likely, due to presence of ammonia or amines from these animals.
I would not worry about these crystals, no risk of explosion. Just wipe them off with a moist towel and rinse the towel with some water.
It, however, is an indication, that the acid is not stored well for long term storage. Fuming nitric acid is amazingly hard to keep around for a long time. I would suggest to use it up quickly. It also is not safe to ampoule it, because the acid may decompose, with one of the decomposition products being oxygen. That may lead to pressure buildup and explosion of the ampoule.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-1-2024 at 05:52

Ahhh yeah of course. I was wondering what on earth the supposed NO2 could be forming salts with just out of thin air, but ammonia seems reasonable. Googling ammonium nitrate crystals supports this as well, it looks very similar. And yeah, I have ammonia bottles in the same space, and a kitty litter box nearby too lol. Mystery solved!
Raid
Hazard to Everyone

Mood: School

[*] posted on 2-2-2024 at 11:29

Any pictures of the crystals?
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 3-2-2024 at 08:26

I just noticed my bottle of 96% sulfuric acid is 'sweating'. The bottle is in a cupboard in a unheated shed here in the Netherlands. I didn't touch it in two years.

I expect the bottle to have heated 20+ degrees at least 10 times now. The bottle is 2.5 liters, with at least 1.5 liters head space. The 'sweat' is acidic, but only slightly. I expect it to be a couple percent sulfuric acid, the acid was released during hot days and will never evaporate, attracting a lot of water while being there.

[Edited on 3-2-2024 by Tsjerk]

Go To Top