Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of 1,2-naphthoquinone
palico
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2024 at 08:08
Synthesis of 1,2-naphthoquinone

Hello people,

today we conclude the old classic serie, and synthesise 1,2-naphthoquinone.
The reaction is the oxidation of 1-amino-2-naphthol prepared last time with potassium dichromate.

reaction .jpg - 144kB

Procedure

A solution of 4.34 g of potassium dichromate in 70 ml of water is cooled to 2 Celsius in fridge. Apart, 7.12 g of 1-amino-2-naphthol is introduced in a 250 ml round bottomed flask, and place in ice-water bath. To this substrate a solution of 10 ml concentrated sulfuric acid in 40 ml of water, pre-cooled at 2 Celsius, is carefully added under stirring. A dark olive suspension is obtained.

Once finished, the dichromate solution is added all at once. A dark-brown solid is immediately formed. The beache is rinsed with water and this added too. The reaction mixture is left under stirrin in ice bath for 1 hour, then is vacuum filtered, washed with water, pump dried, recovered, pressed on paper, left dry in open air for three days to get 5.80 g ( 82.03% ) of brown solid.

m.p.: 121 - 126 Celsius

IMG_20220924_165327.jpg - 1.2MB

Discussion

There is not so much to discuss, apart that the product is sensitive and preferred to store at -18 Celsius. There is another oxidation procedure which employ iron chloride, but I could not use it. This short old classic serie ends here, today.

References

Org. Syn. vol. 17, pag. 68, 1937.

" Practical Organic Synthesis " - A.I. Vogel, Third Edition 1974

As usual I thank you for attention, and link to my YT video for a more detailed procedure.

palico

Transform waste into resources.
Animus tuus dominus.
YT Channel ZodaChem: https://www.youtube.com/@zodd0001/featured

Go To Top