Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1H NMR of some random compounds I made years ago
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-3-2024 at 09:56
1H NMR of some random compounds I made years ago

I had some extra NMR time yesterday, and decided to check out a couple of my home-made compounds that I made back in 2016 and unearthed recently while sorting my chemicals.

First, 4-bromonitrobenzene, prepared by nitration of bromobenzene and purified by recrystallization:
4-bromonitrobenzene.png - 93kB
Looks very clean, with the only visible impurity being a little bit of water (around 1.5). The tiny signals flanking the aromatic doublets are spinning side bands (artifacts), not impurities.

Next, some 2-octanone, prepared by Jones oxidation of 2-octanol:
2-octanone.png - 136kB
I'm quite pleased by the purity of this one as well! There are no visible impurities at all. I have yet to find the tertiary alcohol I made from this and methyl Grignard, but when I do, I'll have to see what it looks like too. I suspect it won't be so pretty.

That was from back when people were pursuing long-chain tertiary alcohols as catalysts for sodium production, before NurdRage demonstrated that we were all overcomplicating things and you can just use menthol. Who knows, maybe 2-methyl-2-octanol or something similar would also work, but there's little interest in it now when a readily available, naturally occurring alcohol gets the job done.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top