Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dichlorocarbene decomposition safety
night429
Harmless

Mood: :o

[*] posted on 26-4-2024 at 21:04
Dichlorocarbene decomposition safety

I'm currently considering doing at a synthesis that implements dichlorocarbene generated by the reaction of chloroform and potassium hydroxide. I've seen sources that say this decomposes to carbon monoxide if it doesn't react, and my procedure has a less than 5% yield.

I'm expecting any carbon monoxide generated to be not too dangerous, so long as I do the synthesis outside and with something to move the air around. Is this a reasonable expectation?
Precipitates
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2024 at 02:00

Yes.

I've probably produced small amounts experimentally with no problem (e.g., decomposition of cream of tartar) - when small quantities of reagents are used outside it's not dangerous.

The only time I've had symptoms (perhaps) of CO poisoning, headaches etc was when we used a stove with poor combustion inside (model is banned now).

Edit just to add there is good advice about performing experiments where CO is produced contained within this thread:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=11...

[Edited on 27-4-2024 by Precipitates]
night429
Harmless

Mood: :o

[*] posted on 27-4-2024 at 23:16

Quote: Originally posted by Precipitates  
Yes.

I've probably produced small amounts experimentally with no problem (e.g., decomposition of cream of tartar) - when small quantities of reagents are used outside it's not dangerous.

The only time I've had symptoms (perhaps) of CO poisoning, headaches etc was when we used a stove with poor combustion inside (model is banned now).

Edit just to add there is good advice about performing experiments where CO is produced contained within this thread:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=11...

[Edited on 27-4-2024 by Precipitates]

Thank you for this! I think I'll go ahead and do the synthesis, but do it outside and avoid prolonged exposure.

Go To Top