Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Functional Groups?
ChemNoob
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2011 at 17:50
Functional Groups?

Hey everyone, Im working on a project for grade 11 chem and we were asked to find the functional groups in our molecule. Mine is Kevlar, and weve never learned about functional groups so I have no idea what Im doing. Ive tried to research some basic ones, but Im still pretty clueless. If someone could please tell where all the functional groups are in the picture, that would be very helpful. Thanks a lot.

DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 23-5-2011 at 18:46

Welcome to sciencemadness and I hope that you are enjoying your experience with chemistry. I should tell you that people here will not spoon-feed you an answer; what I mean is that, questions phrased along the lines of, "Solve this problem for me," will not be received very well.

Instead, we'd rather you become a self-learner and assess what you know, what you don't know, and how you plan to learn what you don't know. Part of that last bit is knowing how to take advantage of a resource like Google. Look up "Organic Chemistry Functional Groups," and you'll find websites that offer more information than any member here has the patience to offer.

I hope this didn't come across as sarcastic. Really, I'm trying to be helpful and give you proper pointers without directly answering the question for you :) After all, science is about problem solving!

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
ChemNoob
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 03:07

Thanks, and yeah, I didnt want to be directly spoon-fed, but we never learned anything like this in class and looking up on google didnt find me with too many results. Even my friend in University level Chemistry couldn't figure out all of the functional groups. After looking around, the only groups I think may be there are amines and carbonyl, and even that Im not too sure of. Ive literally been trying to look all day, but when the project is due today I was getting rather desperate. I know there is a group similar to benzene rings, but seeing as Kevlar only has 4 hydrogens attached, I didnt think that would count and I couldnt find anything else on it :/
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 03:12

Have a look at this page and it does sort of jump out at you. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amide

[Edited on 24-5-2011 by ScienceSquirrel]
ChemNoob
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 03:20

Haha thanks. I knew there was an amide in there somewhere, but Im still a bit confuzzled on what the R and R1 means and covers. Does it mean just the C atom or the whole benzene ring as well?
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 03:31

R usually means an arbitrary alkyl or aryl (benzene ring) group, or a hydrogen. It's used in the general formula to show how many connections the atoms in the group make that aren't important to the functional group itself. R, R' and R'' just means that the groups aren't necessarily the same.

In layman terms R means "insert random group here".

Also, a benzene ring doesn't need to have six hydrogens to be counted as a functional group. It's still an aromatic ring.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
ChemNoob
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 03:36

Oh ok thanks so much :)

So In the structure of the Kevlar molecule, the amide includes the whole centre part plus the two benzene rings? Or are the rings just separated as their own functional group?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 07:16

It's better called an anilide, not just an amide as that is too widely defined. Anilides are amides of aromatic amines. The difference is important in regard to properties and synthesis.
The anilide functional group is defined as Aryl-NR<sup>1</sup>-CO-R<sup>2</sup> where aryl is a phenyl or substituted phenyl group, and R<sup>1</sup> and R<sup>2</sup> are hydrogen, alkyl or aryl groups. These substitutions are not part of the functional group, but they do define it, though only the N-CO fragment is the essential part of the functional group. For example, the carbamate PhNHCOOEt also has the same N-CO fragment, but it is not an anilide because it does not fit the definition (R<sup>2</sup> is not an alkyl or aryl group, but an alkoxy group instead). For the same reason acetamide is not a ketone (defined as R<sup>1</sup>-CO-R<sup>2</sup>;) as its R<sup>1</sup> and R<sup>2</sup> are not an alkyl or aryl groups as they should be in ketones.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
24-5-2011 at 07:16

Go To Top