Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: possible chemical formula of fertiliser
darkflame89
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 01:40
possible chemical formula of fertiliser

As I can't find any ammonia solution anywhere down here in Singapore, I have decided to produce some of it from ammonium salts and sodium hydroxide. Ah, but unfortunately, the fertilisers that are sold do not state their chemical formulas. All I see is the content of specific nutrients(like nitrogen, phosphorus, blah, blah).

There is one type of fertiliser in my house that says gives nitrogen to the plants. Now, is it save to conclude that the fertiliser is probably ammonium nitrate?

Ignis ubique latet, naturam amplectitur omnem.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 04:32

Well, if you are not sure, you might just as well try it. Add NaOH to the fertiliser, and drop in water. YOu should notice the ammonia smell immediately.
In principle you could then distill this, and collect the NH3/H2O vapours in an icecool flask by bubbling it thru water. I dont know how well NH3 vapours dissolve though, so be prepared to use good ventilation. Un-dissolved NH3 could be absorbed in another collector flask in *dilute* acid.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Turel
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thixotropic

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 04:57
No

It is not safe to assume that the fertillizer contains pure ammonium nitrate. But it will contain ammonium sulfate and or phosphate, with near 100% certainty on this one.

It likely contains some KNO3 in it, and disodium phosphate as well. Adding NaOH will evolve ammonia gas, and it will be quite strong, so don't inhale strongly. The majority of the fertillizer cation is evenly split between potassium and ammonium ions in most cases.

-T
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 05:39

If you're really deperate, and don't mind working with high voltages, try the Haber-Bosch process in a small scale.

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
Turel
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thixotropic

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 05:50
Pressure

Haber processes use high pressure and heat to combine H2 and N2, not electricity. N2 reacts with H2 under heat and pressure, and O2 under potential.

At high pressure and temperature, H radicals exist, and readily attack the nitrogen lone pairs in N2, resulting in bond reduction. Once HN=NH is produced, the next reactions occur very rapidly, reducing to hydrazine and then ammonia. Hydrazine is a byproduct of the Haber process.

Is Haber-Bosch the variation employing metal catalysis, forming intermediate nitrides for the H2 to attack?

In oxidation, potential is used due to nitrogen's inherent electronegativity. It is easy for several thousand volts to strip an electron off of N2, leaving it open to attack O2 diradicals. The process evolves much heat because N2+ has shorter bond lengths than N2, emitting energy in the form of heat in addition to the electrical charge generated heat.

N2O is a byproduct of this process, from N+ attack on NO, but this easily decomposes at the high temps to O and N2.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 10:12
another possibility

Urea may be a component of these fertilizers. This too will liberate NH3 with NaOH, but the reaction isn't as rapid as with an ammonium salt.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 11:33

Anyways, ammonia will be liberated and if the reaction flask is connected by an plastictube to a second flask containing water and both flasks are rather airtight the ammonia will be sucked up by the water rapidly and almost no smell will evolve.
The extreme affinity of ammonia to water is wellknown, so this seems to me a favorable and easy way to get aqueous ammonia solution without too much hassle and - more important here - by keeping the obnoxious smell down as far as any possible.

Irgendwas is ja immer
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 15:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Organikum
Anyways, ammonia will be liberated and if the reaction flask is connected by an plastictube to a second flask containing water and both flasks are rather airtight the ammonia will be sucked up by the water rapidly and almost no smell will evolve.
The extreme affinity of ammonia to water is wellknown, so this seems to me a favorable and easy way to get aqueous ammonia solution without too much hassle and - more important here - by keeping the obnoxious smell down as far as any possible.

Unless there's a one-way valve, won't water get sucked from the second flask back into the first flask? I'm assuming the outlet tube is under the water.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 16:12

Your assumption is wrong.
The outlet tube is NOT under water as the affinity of ammonia to water is so strong that this would generate suckback.

Sorry - I forgot to mention this explicitely, my bad, I apologize.

Irgendwas is ja immer
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 16:33

Arc process for nitric oxide is best thought of as a thermal equilibrium process, rather than one involving excited states. Thousands of volts are certainly not required, just a good way to get 3000 kelvin.

Haber Bosch process is the usual N2/H2/Activated Fe ammonia process. High pressure drives the equilibrium far enough toward completion to be worth the while (at 200atm to 1kbar), the heat is purely for kinetic reasons. High heat actually drives the reaction backwards. Haber made it work on a small scale, but it took an international effort to solve the technical problems of getting it to work industrially. High pressure, high temperature and hydrogen gas arnt easy to work with in combination.

Edit - forgot the suggestion that made me reply in the first place. If you make a note of the NPK values for the fertilisers you can get, you can usually guess correctly what they are made of, and which ones to simply avoid. Try listing the values here.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Marvin]
darkflame89
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-3-2004 at 01:56

Ah, ok, i might as well state my overall purpose for the ammonia. OK, i want to obtain this solution in which there are copper tetraamine(II) ions. This is so that i can dissolve paper in it. This 'syrup'can then be passed thru dilute sulphuric acid so that i can produce a strip of rayon, which is a polymer of cellulose

Ignis ubique latet, naturam amplectitur omnem.

Go To Top