Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Addition across conjugated dienes - Minor products
SilentNemesis2710
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 00:20
Addition across conjugated dienes - Minor products

While adding HBr to hexa-2,4-diene are the Anti-Markonikoff products formed at all?

i.e. is 5-bromohex-2-ene formed?

If yes, approximately to what percentage? 1%?

Also, please can I have links to sources that state this for this general reaction (addition to conj dienes)?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 12:57

Please, be more specific. Are you asking for references in regard to the ratio between the 1,2- vs. 1,4-conjugate addition of HBr on that hexadienes?

Have you done any literature search at all? It is hard to say you put any effort in this, given you don't provide a single reference. Asking others to do a literature search for you, without demonstrating of having invested some minimum effort yourself, is not a nice thing to do.

PS: Please open referenceless and/or beginner's topics only in the Beginners forum section where this one is being moved.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
5-12-2011 at 12:58
SilentNemesis2710
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 14:48

I think I have described what I want pretty clearly.
I do not want the ratio between the 1,2 vs. 1,4 conjugate addition of HBr on the hexadiene.
The 1,2 vs 1,4 ratio is likely to be around 40% and 60%, varying with temperature. I know this.
I just want to know whether a 1,2 antimarkonikoff product will be formed, and if so, how much % of the final product will that be? At room temperature.

I tried looking this up in literature, but all it ever mentions are the 1,2 vs 1,4 products - variation with temperature, kinetic control, thermodynamic control, etc. (found in lots of books - solomon, morrison & boyd, march, etc.) , not whether two different 1,2 products are formed as well (markonikoff and anti markonikoff). That is what I would like to know.

I found it pretty churlish that you would berate me on the effort I've put in without even waiting for me to answer. I thought I was specific enough. I hope there is no confusion on what I'm looking for now.

Please let me know if any additional detail is required.

And if possible, I would like a link to the literature that states anything about anti-markonikoff addition for 1, 2 products for the general reaction (addn to conj dienes)

Go To Top