Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pH Meter Questions
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 21:05
pH Meter Questions

So I purchased a used hand-held Beckman pH meter not too long ago. I've been searching for an electrode and a BNC cable for it for quiet some time. I've grown sick of looking at it and not knowing what to do with it. Did some research, but I'll bite the bullet and again be embarassed by my ignorance here at SciMad :D.

So are BNC electrode cables essentially universal? Meaning can I buy a super cheap one on e-bay from hong kong and expect it to work? Sure the cable may be cheap and will wear but I really only need to use the meter here and there.

How interchangeable are electrodes? Do I need a beckman electrode to work with my beckman meter? It says my model comes with a gel-filled epoxy electrode, though Futura makes several electrode variants. I was assuming so, but there are very cheap electrodes on e-bay, and I wouldn't think they'd make them unless they were interchangeable(at least with some models)?

Now I know not all electrodes have the same resolution, but would it be problematic to say use an electrode of one resolution with a pH meter of another?

I'm essentially clueless, I have all the .pdf's that mention electrodes and my meter from the manufacturer I could find but have no answers. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[Edited on 10-12-2011 by smaerd]

peach
Bon Vivant

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2011 at 15:18

BNC's should be universal.

You don't need a beckman electrode to work with a beckman meter nope.

The resolution, it's not so much resolution but absolute accuracy, slope and tolerance to extreme conditions, but also nope.

Some pH probes

The BNCs are identical on all of them

As I have one spare, an exciting investment opportunity has just this moment come into the market for Smaerd. If he'd like to pay the postage from the UK on this gel probe, he can have it for FREE! It's only been used two or three times as I bought two at the same time.

There are some interesting videos here of how Mettler assemble their most expensive probes. An impressive level of detail and care is involved. I enjoy the fact they link to these from their site under the title 'goodies'. They know we want it! :D

I think that's a carbolite bottom loading furnace they have in the first video;

[Edited on 14-12-2011 by peach]

smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 15-12-2011 at 06:58

Thanks for clarifying these things, hehehe. I'm equipmentally challenged.

Very cool video's. I now understand why higher quality electrodes are so expensive! Hey thanks for the offer I'll U2U you about that once I can straighten something out with my bank.

Go To Top