Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: On synthesis & nature of Anabolic Steroids - Resource Help
Chemstudent
Harmless

Mood: Contemplative

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 19:24
On synthesis & nature of Anabolic Steroids - Resource Help

The how-to of Anabolic Steroid synthesis (various compounds) and the study of their chemistry is something I have profound interest in knowing. I've scoured the net, even I looked up my University directory... I simply can't find what I'm looking for beyond the standard info.

Would anyone happen to have or know of any resources that pertain to anabolics & their synthesis? Half-Reactions of DHEA to Testosterone, etc. And a look at all the variants of Testosterone/DHT/&19-NorTestosterone

It seems that there is information all around regarding phenethylamine stimulants, and other drugs, but nothing much on steroid synthesis... :(
Scapegrace
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 06:04

try 4chan on the science board your more likely to get a responce
Chemstudent
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 12:10

That place would have the folk on there who could help??
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10-3-2012 at 00:57

Quote: Originally posted by Chemstudent  
Would anyone happen to have or know of any resources that pertain to anabolics & their synthesis? Half-Reactions of DHEA to Testosterone, etc. And a look at all the variants of Testosterone/DHT/&19-NorTestosterone

There are hundreeds of articles and patent applications about these chemical transformations. Too much for others to search trough it. There are even journals specialized for the chemistry of steroids. Since you are the only one who knows best what you look for, you should be the one to do the search as nobody else can efficiently select just a few articles for you out of several hundreds. (in simple words: I'm not volunteering for this job)
Quote:
It seems that there is information all around regarding phenethylamine stimulants, and other drugs, but nothing much on steroid synthesis... :(

Not much? You must have looked in the totally wrong places. The ratio of articles in regard to "phenethylamine stimulants" vs. that on steroid synthesis is in favour of steroids (mainly because steroids have a wider application spectrum). There is much more money involved in the chemistry of steroids and where there is money there is research. Admittedly, amphetamine and some related compounds are still one of the list of top 100 pharmaceutical blockbusters, but so are many steroids (just think of the contraception pills).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Chemstudent
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-3-2012 at 12:54

Yes, I understand what you are saying. However I do not know of any databases I can search, I know only of google, pubmed, or my school's library database and so far I have come upon nothing specifically regarding synthesis; only have I found studies on the history and application of steroids in medicine. Could you at least give me a couple databases which I can use in my future searches regarding synthesis of specific compounds? I suppose that was the answer I was looking for not just a specific web link for one thing.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 02:25

So you wish to be spoonfed information about synthesising illegal drugs (unless with prescription)??

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Chemstudent
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 10:41

I suppose I could locate patent applications at the U.S patent house website, but a resource which would provide research into the procedure and method of steroid synthesis would be nice. I am not in the know regarding what are the go to chemistry based research journals and do not have any leads on where I can begin looking at published work. NO, I am not looking for some totse/erowid.com style website discussing illegal activities and illicit use! I'd like to find something beyond what my O-chem book has to offer me, and I've always had a fixation on learning steroid molecule synthesis and half reactions from compounds such as DHEA. Why? I just do, I am a personal trainer, a health fanatic, and have always read literature on human biology, diseases, performance enhancement, life extension etc.

I'm quite well read on my biology and drug kinetics; I just want Chemistry based research. Pubmed and some other journals have always been my mainstay for med research but I'd like to enter the world of chem as I have begun my studies recently into O-chem. So please if you could point me in a direction nicely to a Chemistry journal/database which may in all likelihood contain the information I seek I would be grateful. Learning new reactions and lab preparations for things is something I plan to dedicate a good deal of time towards.

I avoided asking for help for this very reason and have already run through the search function on this site, many others, and gone through google and univ. database. So here I am typing; if someone could help wonderful I will not post again for some time until I have more knowledge under my belt and can be more productive on this site.

Thank you all, ciao
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard
Thread Pruned
13-3-2012 at 05:18
Chemstudent
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 12:04

After much time in the university library, consulting with a TA and friend. I have finally hit the tip of the iceberg concerning steroid synthesis. It was quite difficult finding anything regarding reaction of DHEA to Testosterone or other 19-carbon anabolics. During the process I had learned a good deal about the starting materials in total steroid synthesis and their reactions. It was by no means simple, most the information was quite old or in the other case related entirely to synthesis of the more important Corticosteroids or Pregnanes/Estranes/Gonanes.

Seems to me DHEA is the ideal starting material for anabolic steroid synthesis. I found stigmasterol promising as well, but nothing better than DHEA yet as it is accessible and cheap 100g for $65.

I'll share one of my findings. This is for anyone interested or wishing to give feedback (please do). Haven't found the molar ratios for reagents or made up a preparation chart yet.

DHEA -- (1. - LiAlH_4 + Cyclohexanone) ---> Androstendione ----- (2. - Mn0_2) --> Testosterone ----- (3. CH_3MgBr) ----> 17-Methyl-Testosterone ----- (4. Se0_2) ---> Methandrostenolone aka Dianabol

Reaction 1 (Oppenaur reaction) Dhea in solution of LiAlH4 (Sodium Borohydrate can be used in place) over excess Cyclohexanone (Acetone can be used in place). This removes alcohol on positition 3 and replaces it with a ketone. It also moves a double carbon bond from ring B to ring A. You now have Androstenedion in a solution; dry off and proceed to reaction 2 with a certain qty of Mn02 (Manganese Dioxide) which oxidizes a ketone at position 17 leaving you with an alcohol group at 17. I'm not sure if an excess Mn02 will affect the molecule further, so far though seems that only ketone at pos. 17 is changed to OH. You now have testosterone base. Reaction 3) Dry off, and proceed to treat with Methyl Magnesium Bromide, which is able to add a CH3 to position 17 making the Testosterone 17-methylated leaving you with orally available Testosterone. The reaction of 17-Methyl-Test with
Selenium Dioxide (can Mn02 be used instead? Not sure) will add a second double bond to A ring. You now have orally available steroid Dianabol invented in the 60s by a dr to help the US win against the communist countries in the Olympics :) A single 10mg tablet a day offers full androgen replacement for males with minimal side effects and optimal to natural testosterone production. But I digress, hope I now have earned at the least the respect to get some helpful feedback!
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 12:58

It sounds as if you've found a topic you're passionate about. That's great because it's also a topic you could turn into a fruitful career. Before you can become a successful scientist, though, you must hone your library research skills. You can use this site as a minimum guide for the places you should be looking (your school library should have access to these same resources): http://libguides.mit.edu/chem . While you're spending time in the library, get to know your school librarian. Librarians are basically professional researchers. A talented librarian is always an asset to a scientist.

When I approach a new topic, I start with monographs and review articles. From those, I work my way outward to the citations. As you can imagine, this leads to mountains of books and papers on my desk. The only way to peruse them is to skim read and speed read. I'm humble enough to admit that my library skills are not the best but this works for me.

[Edited on 4-9-12 by DDTea]

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
Chemstudent
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 18:13

Awesome resource! I bookmarked that on my browser's quick tabs. I'll definitely get my use out of this. And yes, I can imagine a pile of books accumulating on the desk of someone intent on mastering a small part of a subject. The library seemed to me at one time like the Google of yesteryear, now I look at it entirely differently! It has within it more and better quality information than one could ever hope to find on the net. Also I love knowing many of the books I find too old or obscure to be found online and not in general circulation. The introverted part of me also likes the silence, and tight spaces in the halls of library, I feel like a little kid in a hide out some times :)

My fixations on the few various areas of Chemistry are what fuels my passion for the study overall. I'm really just starting but I've given much of myself to the study already. Plus I have my little own lab setup slowly being put together. Thus far a distillation setup, hotplate+mag stirrer, lots of glassware, mohr pipettes + pump, and buchner filtration setup. Unfortunately I can't find the starter reagent sets like they used to sell in my father's days. The old fashioned chemistry set has been replaced by the nintendo wii :P
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 13:49

http://books.google.com/books?id=QgjwlkC7ZbkC&printsec=f...

Go To Top