Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How high can a fractionating flask be heated?
µLoop
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 15:58
How high can a fractionating flask be heated?

Hi, I am thinking about doing a few things that would require me to heat a fractionating flask(like this:http://www.kavalier.cz/fota/ikonub/130-1.jpg) to rather high temperatures(up to 300°C), but I do not want to ruin it. How high can I heat the flask without risking breaking it?
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 17:08

If it's borosillicate glass 300C should be well within the range. How will you heat it? Flame?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
µLoop
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-4-2012 at 05:54

I do not have an oil bath that is suitable for such high temps, so I am planning to heat it with an alcohol burner. I am not worried about the glass softening from the heat, but I am concerned about cracking. The bottom part of the flask will probably be over 200°C before anything starts to come over and heat the upper parts and I am worried about the temperature differential cracking the glass.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2012 at 09:02

Quote: Originally posted by µLoop  
The bottom part of the flask will probably be over 200°C before anything starts to come over and heat the upper parts and I am worried about the temperature differential cracking the glass.
Fabricate yourself a shroud for the flask and fill it with a heat transfer medium. The shroud could be as simple as a tin can, perhaps with a notch cut in it. The medium could be liquid, such as oil or a molten salt, or solid, such as metal shot or sand.

Regardless of these details, bring the unfilled part of the shroud up past the side-arm so that the upper part receives radiative heat from the lower part. Aluminum foil may work adequately for this.

Also, you should ask the question about how you'll cool the flask without breaking it.

Go To Top