Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Importing glassware etc, laws or customs?
why_not
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-6-2012 at 00:42
Importing glassware etc, laws or customs?

Hey so I'm going to be getting some glassware from over-seas, and I was wondering what he deal is, it's not going to get siezed is it?

I live in New Zealand and have checked customs etc but can't see much about glassware.

Checked out some laws etc and found this section; http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1975/0116/latest/w...

I'm not in the possession of anything as of yet.

Has anyone dealt with things like this, by the way I'm in New Zealand.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2012 at 13:03

I am not sure really. I've heard AU has some strict laws regarding importing chemicals, but as far as glass goes... it's hard to say. Some members on the forum have claimed to have had issues, and if you look at somewhere like Texas, you apparently need a permit to be in posession of an erlenmeyer flask. I'm sure plenty of people still buy them without registering though, since that permit essentially gives them a heads up on which homes to raid when they are in the mood.

That being said, sometimes it's just worth it to try and see what happens... Unless you are ordering very suspicious things like pill presses and other items that are obviously used to make and dose drugs, I wouldn't worry all that much. Lots of people make their own essential oils and need condensers and the like, some make their own biodiesel and need beakers and erlenmeyers to do various tests on the products, some aquarium hobbyists use them in the same way.

In the link you provided it says:

Every person commits an offence against this Act who has in his or her possession—

(a) any equipment or material that is capable of being used in, or for, the commission of an offence against section 6(1)(b) or section 9; or

(b) any precursor substance—

with the intention that the equipment, material, or substance is to be used in, or for, the commission of an offence against that provision.

Now, "any equipment or material" could be virtually anything from a pill press to a beaker, what I pay attention to is what it says after:

"with the intention that the equipment, material, or substance is to be used in, or for, the commission of an offence against that provision."

Unless you have intent to use the items in such a way, I wouldnt worry, personally. Keep you lab clean, organized, everything well labelled and safe as well as keeping a detailed notebook of your work, and in the rare event that something would happen it's not like your labware would be amongst dirty jars, old bits of pipe and bongs. That would cast a bad image upon yourself and make it easier for LE to make nearsighted assumptions on what your intents are.

[Edited on 26-6-2012 by Mailinmypocket]

[Edited on 26-6-2012 by Mailinmypocket]

Go To Top