Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quick question: Oximes
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 20:52
Quick question: Oximes

I've been trying to manipulate oximes to synthesize amides lately, with little success. I was wondering this: How stable are oximes towards heat in neutral (neither acidic nor basic) conditions? My procedure requires me to heat the flask containing the oxime to 110oC with a catalyst, but my most recent trial involved formation of the oxime first, then addition of the catalyst five minutes following addition of a base and hydroxylamine hydrochloride to the aldehyde.

I won't go into to much detail about my exact protocol, I'm basically more worried about the integrity of the oxime. Do oximes readily form the dreaded "tars" so often talked about by organic chemists?
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 07:31

Have you checked by TLC for purity of starting materials? 0.5% CuCl2 in MeOH is a good stain for oximes. It looks to me like you're doing a Beckmann rearrangement... Can you provide further details of the substrate/methodology? Given that caprolactam is made by this methodology on multi-tonne scale, I have a hard time believing (at least in the case of this substrate) that this is a messy reaction.
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 7-12-2012 at 13:47

I'm just surprised Nico didn't move this to the Quick Questions forum!
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 15:02

I do not have access to TLC, unfortunately. All starting materials excepting the substrate (aldehyde substrate was purchased from a perfumery supplier, sold as 99% pure however). My general procedure is to first prepare the oxime using hydroxylamine and sodium acetate. This is all solvent free, but I do sometimes add ~5 ml of toluene to make things a bit more uniform. I then add a catalytic amount of copper sulfate pentahydrate and rapidly bring the heat to 110oC in an oil bath. By the end of the reaction, I'm left with a brown liquid that quickly solidifies upon cooling to room temperature. But not completely. It's much like a tar. Extraction with ethyl acetate followed by evaporation yields some absolute gunky gunk. A tarry semi-solid that looks like a cross between motor oil and molasses.

This procedure follows pretty much everything from this particular paper: Tetrahedron Letters 53 (2012) 1413–1416.

I've found papers that suggest that copper sulfate does not work for this reaction (Tetrahedron Letters, 52 (33), pp. 4252-4255), instead suggesting copper acetate.
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 15:16

Aldoximes on heating usually lost a molecule of water and they form nitriles. Here this also happens (check out the catalytic circle).

For making amides from aldehydes it much easier any cheaper to oxidize it to a carboxylic acid and bubble some ammonia through a solution of it and be happy with the high end yield.

And just an advice: do not work with hydroxylamine without solvents, it could easily explode, especially if you make larger amounts.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 15:37

According to that reference, the nitrile is a part of a catalytic cycle in which the copper (II) cation somehow destabilizes both the oxime and the nitrile. So nitrile formation and dehydration of the aldoxime is fully intended.

As for the hydroxylamine, I knew it was highly reactive, but I did not know it was such a hazard. These people in the reference did not use a solvent in the end, but they were working with amounts on the order of 1 mmol. I'll use a small amount of toluene as a solvent then.

kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 16:52

I never ever belive 1mmol reactions. And according to your results it is not true. Both the amide, oxime and the nitrile is nearly colorless crystalline and not a like a tar.

And use methanol as a solvent for the oxime formation, it is the best for this(:

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/

Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 17:33

Well here's what I'm doing with the last of my reagents (sadly I started before your reply):

Instead of CuSO4 straight up, I mixed CuSO4 (pentahydrate) with an equimolar amount of NaOAc (I know that Cu(OAc)2 would need 2 mol eq of NaOAc to completely transform the CuSO4). Added a very small amount of water. Observed the pleasant opaque blue (lighter than the sulfate) coloration of Cu(OAc)2. Upon addition of the hydroxylamine, I observed a thick oily white crystal form. As of now, I am seeing a white colored crystals (flakes) form on the side of the flask. It could be anything (oxime, NaOAc or whatnot), but I take it as a good sign. I am not heating it consistently. I take 10 minute "cool" breaks. My hotplate is a cooking stove, so there is no temp. control. I want to avoid going beyond 120oC. I noticed heavy evolution of something even before the BP of either water or toluene was reached.

There's also a strong, irritating odor of acetic acid. Not sure if that's a good sign or not.

[Edited on 9-12-2012 by Rich_Insane]
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 17:42

Hydroxylamine.HCl reacts with the NaOAc to form hydroxylamine base and acetic acid, that's the smell what you have noticed.

I would like to advice to ignore the one pot reaction, because this type of "mix everything and hope best" usually ends up with a gunk. Make the oxime, purify it and then make the rearrangement.

Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 17:45

I'll keep that in mind for next time. You're right, the one-pot does usually end up a mess. What solvent would you recommend for isolation and recrystallization of aliphatic oximes?
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 17:50

Methanol, ethanol, THF/water, little acetone/much water.

Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 17:55

OK, I will definitely do that next.

The reaction mixture is turning kind of red-brown. There's a bottom layer with a lot of tan/light colored crystals and a top layer that is liquid. I continuously add more toluene to both cool down the reaction and ensure uniformity.

Since I do not have TLC, when should I stop the reaction?

Go To Top