Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I need to write all the isomers of ketone, do I need to include enols in that list?
alexchem
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2012 at 00:29
I need to write all the isomers of ketone, do I need to include enols in that list?

Hello!
I have a few questions.
I know that most of enols aren`t very stable, but some of them exist and play an important role in ketons reactivity.
1) I don`t know whether I need to include enols in a list of isomers, when I have to write all the isomers of a ketone especially when I don`t know whether this particular enol really exist or not.
2) Is there a compound like this
HO--C=C-OH
.......|....|
......R1..R2
and do I need to include it too?
3) Is there any rule that determines what I need to and what I don`t need to include in a list of isomers?

[Edited on 22-12-2012 by alexchem]

kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 22-12-2012 at 01:14

Ketones are ketones and characterized by >C=O functionality. Enols are tautomers of ketones and thus different compounds with different reactivity. So if you are asked to present all the ketones, enols should not be included. If you are however asked to present all possible isomers for a given elemental constitution then yes, enols are viable isomers.
alexchem
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-12-2012 at 05:09

If the task is to"write all isomers of this compound", then does it means that I need to write only thous that are ketones?
alexchem
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-12-2012 at 06:29

Do I need to include compounds, where two hydroxsyl groups are connected to the same carbon atom?

Go To Top