Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Girl arrested for chemistry experiment, charges dropped, "October Sky" guy gives her a scholarship
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 08:24
Girl arrested for chemistry experiment, charges dropped, "October Sky" guy gives her a scholarship

Fuck yeah! The draino/Al/soda girl has been given a scholarship for space camp from the guy who is who the movie "October Sky" was based on. Charges have also been dropped.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/cleared-charges-honor-student-space...

[Edited on 23-5-13 by The_Davster]
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 09:57

That's great news! As you might have seen in the other thread, I was pretty pissed at this whole ordeal. But it's great to see someone with the means to do something about it has helped this girl (and her sister!) get back on the right path.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 10:38

Good, now we just need to have the idiots who made the decision to prosecute in the first place prosecuted for wasting police time then sued for slander.
annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2013 at 06:45

I see it was Homer Hickham who did it. I read his book (Rocket Boys), it was very interesting.

I think everyone who experimented in those days made explosives. I certainly did. I have a 1930's Gilbert chemistry set manual, and one of the experiments is making nitrogen triiodide, although they don't identify the chemical and it's only a small quantity they call for.

It's a basic fact that things that are dangerous are precisely the things that are exciting and educational. Climbing trees, rowing a boat out on a lake, you name it. I think kids need a certain amount of this.

Any other SF Bay chemists?

Go To Top