International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 22-2-2014 at 11:43

Quote: Originally posted by Marvin  
From Doug Coulter's forum,
Pulses out of SNM 18-1 (at last)
First light on CHM-14 Russian B10 neutron tube
Neutron detector tubes

There is also some information on the fusor forums but I became sidetracked reading through trying to find the posts.

"but I became sidetracked reading through trying to find the posts"

Exactly why I keep burning hours getting little done.

On the first link: "Chris -- yes, the transistors are important to that circuit".

Do you know where a copy of 'that circuit' is? I'll keep looking around the forum. I did find on page 2 a preamp circuit but I am not sure if this is what they are talking about. Some of the text leads me to think this is an alternate or different circuit than the one the thread was discussing but I am not sure. They also had a useful data sheet which I'll include here.

NewDPre.jpg - 61kB

Attachment: MMBT5087.pdf (100kB)
This file has been downloaded 648 times

Edit to add: I also notice they are coupling the tube with much more capacitance than the circuit I posted on page 5 which I found on a cosmic ray detection site. Also they discuss my tube and the OP seems to make no differentiation between that and his tube concerning the 2,200 volt anode voltage. Was this because he failed to study the datasheets? His tube is 2KV to 2,800 volt whereas the SNM-9 is 1,300 volts. Note English SN is Russian CH if you compare alphabets, at first a confusion for me until I realized various sites were talking about the same tube number. In effect SNM-9 is CHM-9. In any case they discuss 200 microsecond pulses and 250 pF coupling at much higher input impedance, whereas the Nasa Cosmic ray site was using 10 pF at 10 times less input impedance. Just seems to me 100 megohm load with 1 megohm input loaded at 250 pF is going to stretch a 200 uS pulse a hell of a lot more than 10 megohm load at 100K input impedance loaded by 10 pF. Or am I missing something here. I also see I am handicapped by equipment. They were saying a 100 MHZ DSO is sort of the bottom end for looking at these signals whereas my best DSO is a Tektronix 2220 which is a 60 MHZ DSO. Maybe I am SOL from the outset until I can afford better gear? Also note while they mention 250 pF, the circuit posted used 210 pF. I imagine they are still experimenting in an effort to get a better signal. What I do know is these neutron detector tubes are hell to work with. Leaves me wondering why the manufacturers do not have good information on their products to aid in design. Maybe I should set this aside for awhile, I was working on my mica window MCT-17 until this new tube finally arrived in the mail.

Not 100 percent sure but this may be the circuit they were talking about in the first link Marvin recently posted.

Preamp.jpg - 93kB

http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&...

http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=52&...

[Edited on 2-23-2014 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 09:11

after reading on Irc`s story about hacks Canyon in northern Arizona, I rented a car in Flagstaff and went there to check it out for myself...
240 miles later i came to Fredonia, a sleepy desert town where gas stations closed at 5 pm.

Fredonia AZ2.jpg - 108kB

about 12 miles west of town there is a dirt road that leads to Hacks Canyon.
21 miles south the entrance was closed by a gate that may be there to prevent cattle from roaming freely since dump trucks are still going in and out of the area once or twice a day.

2.jpg - 192kB

I didnt want to pay for the repair on the rental or get stuck in the middle of inaccessible terrain so i walked arround looking for deformed cacti with my geiger counter

cacti Hacks3.jpg - 221kB

unfortunatly i was too far from the area of interest and dirt and sandstone is all i found there...
this is a beautiful area nonetheless and on the advises of Irc and upon reviewing the google earth map i know now where to go look .
I cannot wait to go back and camp there for 2 or 3 days but money and time off are in short supply .if anybody wants to join the expedition later this year it would be a welcome trip so we could once and for all see what is hidden beyond the western entrance of Hacks canyon!

Hacks canyon eastern entrance  3.jpg - 191kB

IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 10:07

"see what is hidden beyond the western entrance of Hacks canyon!"

Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes. In numbers beyond imagination. A number of Black Rattlers and other nasty always painful things. To quote John Wayne from an old movie "everything wants to either stick you sting you stab you kill you". OK paraphrasing but I have not seen the movie in long years.

Edit to ask: can you blow up #2 image so I can read the sign at the gate. Never saw that before, plus near as I can tell from 40 year old memory that gate looks to be a long way from the location I described. How much land did they patent?

[Edited on 4-19-2014 by IrC]

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 10:10

yeah spring is probably not the right time to avoid snakes...maybe winter when they asleep and hidden?

IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 10:24

Quote: Originally posted by neptunium  
yeah spring is probably not the right time to avoid snakes...maybe winter when they asleep and hidden?

In the first week of January the temps are coldest. Usually they wrap together in a giant very scarey very dangerous ball of hundreds of 6 foot average length Rattlers. Hiding in holes, caves crevices, whatever is as large and deep as they can find. Do not even go near one.

In the southern part of the state university teams picked these times to find and study pottery and artifacts from tribes such as Hohokam. I have heard many stories from them about running into these snake balls. Still, your right it is the safest time.

[Edited on 4-19-2014 by IrC]

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 10:28

the picture size is too big to be accepted but the sign says..

rough road next 8 miles
4wd or high clearance
vehicles only recommended
beyond this point

judging from the google earth i think this is the western entrance but yeah about 5 or so miles away,,

IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 10:35

"4wd or high clearance vehicles only recommended"

Have to laugh remembering retrieving my muffler and putting it in the trunk. Was a couple months before I put it back on the car. I have to wonder how many citations for fire hazard BLM rangers would have given me today. In 74 no one cared or even gave it thought. A Sheriff at the gas station in Fredonia did give me some menacing stares hearing me pull in to fuel up but even he seemed not very concerned about how loud the car was. I had by that time given up putting the muffler back on after a dozen times in the preceding months and just left in in the trunk. In any case the above quote is not joking.

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 21:26

Untitled.jpg - 55kB

aside from the snakes and rough road, are the claims clearly indicated ? on google map there is a couple of large dark square that appears to be tarp... any idea what they are?

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 21:34

Any good prospecting sites (radioactive or otherwise) near western Washington?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2014 at 00:27

Quote: Originally posted by neptunium  
aside from the snakes and rough road, are the claims clearly indicated ? on google map there is a couple of large dark square that appears to be tarp... any idea what they are?

Only way to locate claims other than stumbling upon survey markers is to go to the county seat and look up descriptions. Around 94 Clinton did away with the 1873 mining act so there will be no new claims. You did not have to stop at that gate, only close it behind you every time you go through it. Only private property marked no trespassing is an obstacle and that picture is not indicative of that. You should have gone on through the gate when you were there. Maybe next time. I'll bet you missed out on going on into the canyon by stopping at that gate. All it means is cattle from different ranches graze on either side of the gate. Or only on one side and none on the other. Only the BLM could tell you that but in any case just for FYI on your next trip such signs do not mean you cannot go on down the road. If you fail to securely close the gate however I am sure if caught leaving it open expect big fines. I do not know about the 'tarps' you mention. Cannot answer that one.

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 10:44

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
Any good prospecting sites (radioactive or otherwise) near western Washington?

there is a spot in central Idaho but i am guessing it is underground and maybe too far ....unless you are planning a camping trip?

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 10:55

late october or perhaps january . early morning can also b quite cold in the desert late september or somaybe even below freezing . that should keep the snake asleep for awhile.

Now i red somewhere that Hacks canyon had the highest concentration of radium and uraniium ore in the entire US. . . better yet at ground level!
i wonder how such a geological event is possible given that U is a heavy metal.?
Also there is another spot on the USGS map not far from Hacks either east or west with the same carracteristics...i can tell on their map if its east or west of Hacks but it would be worth digging if it hasnt been mined already...

Hacks is such a great place for many other reasons but Uranium ore is usually closely garded or underground or both.
so this makes it a fabulous place for mineral/element/thrill hunters!

I have a feeling though that this wont last much longer and we are in the last years of free digging arround in open areas.

dont want to drift off topic here but i fear the growing tighting of the government grip on (western) land and other physics/chemical related artefacts and places.
Paranoid ? maybe....but i have to show ID and register for certain items wherer i didnt have to not that long ago......

again, this would discourage curiosity and interest and contribute to a general sense of dumbing and over controlling of the masses.

hope this wont land me on some watch list

[Edited on 22-4-2014 by neptunium]

IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 15:22

"i wonder how such a geological event is possible given that U is a heavy metal.?"

I would think it was brought up with magma flows. If you go from Hacks straight to the north rim of the GC you would be sliced to ribbons if you slid down a quarter mile to the river. Black glass and so dangerous it is frightening to stand at the top looking down the slope. One slip and all a cannibal would need is a box of hamburger helper and a fire. From appearance clearly a massive lava flow down the slope a billion or few years ago. Think about that giant reactor in Africa, discovered in 1972 at Oklo in Gabon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 17:14

but the rockys are about 70 or so million years old! granted a few volcanoes popped up here and there bringing the inside out and that would explained the mineral belt in NM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_mining_in_New_Mexico

but this part of Arizona is more sedimentary hence the Grand canyon!

or do i need to go back to my books of geology?
i understand the techtonic and the volcanoes popping up there i just didnt really see it in the landscape
maybe i need to explore some more

gladly! f..k the snakes! i totaly would!

[Edited on 23-4-2014 by neptunium]

IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 17:52

I have no idea when never bothered to study it. I just said billion or so to provide a wide time frame meaning somewhere long ago. But it is clearly magma which flowed downwards a quarter to half mile, along the cliff over the river valley. If the Rockies are that young then this is confusing. I did not think a volcanic eruption that large had occurred in such a short time ago as 70 million years. Possible I guess. Too bad I never have time any more to study such things back when I was there it was very interesting. In 74 it was remote desolate wilderness as far as you can see. Looking right now I see they named it 'Lava Falls' and show an airstrip.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=grand+canyon+north+rim&oe...

To be honest from long aged memory it did not look like a volcano ever existed there**. Looked more like a giant lake of lava that overflowed into the river valley up and down it's length for well over a mile. Will give you something to study anyway. I brought it up because you wondered what mechanism brought up heavy metals to the surface, and this was all I could think of. Even the roughest rocky areas around Hacks looks very volcanic in origin. The whole area is largely metamorphosed Pegmatites. Percentage wise I remember Obsidian, Olivine, Beryl, Tourmaline, others, as being in greater abundance all around for 50 miles. By this I mean I could have loaded trucks full of these glassy rocks it was so abundant. Not an expert geologist but I always linked such minerals to more or less volcanic terrain. No doubt all the sedimentary build up was in the millions of years since this obvious volcanic activity. Going 40 or more miles further N, E, and W it turned into mostly mountains of Dolomite. Go search around where Black Rock Road comes off I-15 past Littlefield you will see what I mean. Not for radioactive minerals, the area is as dead as it gets.

Edit ** Is it possible Ice Age Glaciers were this far south and in say the last 50,000 years or so ground down any volcanic peaks? Could there have been a string of volcanoes now so ground down the area looks lacking in volcanic peaks but overflowing with lava from long ago?

[Edited on 4-23-2014 by IrC]

Subcomputer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-4-2014 at 07:25

I happen to be near the Lemhi Pass deposit which depending on who you ask has a lot of Thorium or a LOT of Thorium. It happens that Lemhi and Custer counties had a bit of a Uranium rush in the '60s, there were never any productive mines opened but a lot of roads to nowhere. (The locals claim it's because the market fell out, the uranium really is there; but they say that about almost every mineral here.)

I'm really tempted to build/buy a geiger counter and scout some of the old roads to nowhere and try to identify the ore to see if it's the same lanthanide heavy stuff as the pass. It's different geological formations in some areas, so it should be an interesting summer project.
woelen
Super Administrator
Thread Bumped
23-4-2014 at 23:07
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 23-4-2014 at 23:09

For some reason this thread was invisible in the thread list (software bug?). I bumped it to make it visible again.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2014 at 08:53

Ghost in the machine?

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 18:24

Quote: Originally posted by Subcomputer  
I happen to be near the Lemhi Pass deposit which depending on who you ask has a lot of Thorium or a LOT of Thorium. It happens that Lemhi and Custer counties had a bit of a Uranium rush in the '60s, there were never any productive mines opened but a lot of roads to nowhere. (The locals claim it's because the market fell out, the uranium really is there; but they say that about almost every mineral here.)

I'm really tempted to build/buy a geiger counter and scout some of the old roads to nowhere and try to identify the ore to see if it's the same lanthanide heavy stuff as the pass. It's different geological formations in some areas, so it should be an interesting summer project.

i say go for it man! its a lot of fun and you might learn something in the process! alwys a good thing! maybe find yourself a cheap geiger counter or scintillation detector on ebay , get a portable GPS and a tent, supply, food etc...and pick up some interesting samples , if you can send me a small one i`ll do the gamma spectrum for you!

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=27963&...

[Edited on 13-6-2014 by neptunium]

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness
Thread Moved
11-9-2014 at 19:17
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top