Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dangerous Peroxides
Alchemist
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-10-2002 at 20:50
Dangerous Peroxides

Hello all,

Just for the purpose of discussion! It appears by most that Acetone Peroxide is the, or one of the most sensitive Peroxides known. This has been documented in several places, yet many of us have made it many times! My BIG question is then why have none of us made peroxides from the likes of Isopropyl ether,Ethyl ether, Dioxane and Tetrahydrofuran, etc.? There are many sights on Peroxidizable compounds that state that Peroxides from these chemicals have been the cause of many serious accidents. Is it then, that these Peroxides are really more dangerious than Acetone Peroxide (more sensitive, more powerful)? So like I said in the beginning it's up for discussion, should we try some these or NOT?!!!
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 29-10-2002 at 04:35

One that would be interesting is the peroxide of dimethyl ether. I calculated that it should yield significantly more energy per gram than nitroglycerine.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 29-10-2002 at 09:59

The reason why you wouldn' t want to synthesize them is because they are significantly more unstable than AP.

Mad, dimethyletherperoxide looks very dangerous to me, considering the analog diethyletherperoxide..:o

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2002 at 12:56

Ketones can form cyclic -OO- peroxides, ethers tend to form hydroperoxides -OOH different animals with hydroperoxides being rather less chemically stable Id think.

Also my understanding is you cant make ether peroxides with hydrogen peroxide. They form in small amounts from oxygen directly.

Ethers are good organic solvents and have low boiling points so its common to do extractions and boil them off. If the residue contains the peroxide it has a habit of detonating which is why they are commonly feared more than acetone peroxides. One of the reason ether is kept in well stoppered brown bottles.

Acetone peroxides cause a similar problem when oxidations with hydrogen peroxide in acetone were attempted, these are rather easier to avoid. There are a number of these in the lituriture.

Dimethylether is a gas which might make attempts to make the peroxide difficult. Probably not worth attempting anyway.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 31-10-2002 at 05:46

Another problem with ether peroxides is that they tend to evaporate somehow and dispose themselves in the screw lid of a bottle. That's why school labs call the bomb squad if they find an old ether bottle...

BTW, peroxides in organic solvents can be reduced by adding FeSO4 to the to be distilled liquid.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top