Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to make hexamine? Please help!
kuykur
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 05:13
How to make hexamine? Please help!

Those fuel tabs which are talked about are simple nonexistant where I am. So I face myself with the challenge of making my own hexamine from scratch.
The H4ClN + Formaldehyde didn't work. Is there any other way which requires no lab glass and no vacuum source?
Thanks!

[Edited on 13-1-2005 by kuykur]
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 05:49

Mix formaldehyde and ammonia, and boil to dryness, don't use flame as the hexamine will ignite once dry and hot (personal experience). Try to have an excess (stoichiometric) of NH3 so you won't have to deal with more toxic formaldehyde evaporating.
Hexamine is most easily made - I am surprised there is no thread on its making.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
kuykur
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 11:12

Thanks Chemoleo!
I never heard of this way. Can you give me a little more info?
Any formaldehyde will do? I can get 35 VOL form. I don't know if VOL = % . It seems to have some p-form on the bottom. Will it work?
About the ammonia, does it has to be a solution? what % of NH3? can I use the amm.hcl I got spare making a solution in water?
Oh! And how much would the stochiometric excess should be?

Hope you have some time to answer :)

I'm planing to do a detailed write-up about it, both successes and failures. As you very well pointed, there seems to be no data about this.

Thanks.

KK
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 11:30

It's very simple, I wouldn't even bother calculating it.

Just take, i.e. 200 ml of 36% formaldehyde, and add i.e. a 10% solution of ammonia (or 25%, or whatever) and mix. While stirring, add ammonia, until the the solution after mixing smells of it (it heats up too from what I remember, let it cool if it becomes too hot). This means you have achieved an excess of ammonia, whch is what you want. No, you can only use free ammonia. (Or make a solution of ammonium chloride and add a stoichiometric amount of NaOH, which liberates NH3 in solution. This you add to your formaldehyde.)

Then let it stand for a day, and boil this down, the NH3 will evaporate, plus the water. Eventually you will get crystals, and dry more until completely dry. There you have your hexamine.

Other names for hexamine are urotropine, and hexamethylen tetramine. There are some threads on this, and what it is used for. Plus this gives some info on stoichiometry. The info is all there!

Anyway, this is not one of those experiments where you need to be accurate. Nice and simple. :)

Oh, and would you like to tell me what H4ClN is? ;)

[Edited on 13-1-2005 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Joeychemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sedated

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 14:14

The other names for hexamine;
1,3,5,7-tetraazatricyclo[3.3.1.13,7]decane; aceto hmt; Aminoform; Ammoform; ammonioformaldehyde; Cystamin; Cystogen; formamine; Formin; HEXA; Hexaform; hexamethylenamine; hexamethyleneamine; hexamethylenetetraamine; hexamethylene tetramine; hexamethylene triamine; hexilmethylenamine; Hiprex; HMT; HMTA; Mandelamine; methamin; metheneamine; resotropin; 1,3,5,7-tetraazaadamantane; tetraazatricyclo[3.3.1.1(3,7)]decane; UREX; Uritone; Uroqid and methenamine.

Chemoleo, H4ClN is ammonium chloride, I know:P, but I have seen it writen this way before, I'm not sure why but....

[Edited on 13-1-2005 by Joeychemist]
Thomas Winwood
Harmless

Mood: Anhydrous

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 14:48

Chemical nomenclature normally dictates writing an ionic compound as the sum of its ions i.e. NH4(+) and Cl(-) makes NH4Cl. Same for NaCl, Na3Fe(CN)6 and CsCl. Writing H4ClN implies that the nitrogen is bonded to the chlorine, whereas it's actually in the centre of the tetrahedral ammonium ion.

I\'ve been told having a sig is banned, despite the facility being available. Um...contradiction?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 15:39

He's probably using the Hill system, where the elements in the compound are arranged in alphabetical order:rolleyes:. It's dumb.

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 22:36

Yeah, it's easy, though I ran out of gas when boiling it down, and was using shitty reagants (blue dyed etc).

Be careful about adding too much ammonia, I did that and kinda tear gasses myself when boiling it :D
I didn't wait for a day though, I figured that reaction would finish as I heated it (I was lazy, etc).

Here's a synthesis I found on it a while ago http://basti.borec.cz/_english/e_hmta.html

Would the reaction also work by dissolving paraformaldehyde in ammonia solution?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Joeychemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-1-2005 at 04:29

Yeah Chris, Paraformaldehyde works in the same way pretty much, there is a page on frogfot’s site for making both formaldehyde and hexamine. Look here http://www.frogfot.com/synthesis/formaldehyde.html and here http://www.frogfot.com/synthesis/hexamine.html and if you even need to make the HN3 look here http://www.frogfot.com/synthesis/ammonia.html
Also her is the thread how to identify hexamine http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3166

[Edited on 14-1-2005 by Joeychemist]
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-1-2005 at 22:38

Those pages are great! The fromaldehyde synthesis especially, as formaldehyde is expensive to get OTC, but methanol is really cheap, as well as pure. The formaldehyde I've bought was 25%, with 7.5% methanol and a huge amount of impurities such as dyes. The methanol I've bought cost the same amount for 4 times the volume, and is 99.9% pure. Apparently paraformaldehyde bought OTC contains similar impurities.
Cloner
Hazard to Others

Mood: apocalyptic

[*] posted on 18-1-2005 at 08:01

How did it fare to make paraformaldehyde? I believed it outside the scope of the basement chemist.
Pyroz
Hazard to Self

Mood: curious...

[*] posted on 19-1-2005 at 22:33

Plastic supply store should carry 99% paraformaldhyde for fibre glass resin glue sealer --- its not that expensive to buy and fairly easy to find if you know where to look for it.
Joeychemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-1-2005 at 07:41

formaldehyde can be found at Wal-mart in the form of a variety of products called Campa Chem for use in recreational vehicle sewage treatment (in the automotive section). There is one brand that is solid granules, get that, not the solution. The actual chemical is paraformaldehyde, the polymerized form of formaldehyde, but formaldehyde can also be obtained from this too.

The paraformaldehyde is dyed with an unknown blue dye.The dye can be removed with several small portians of alcohol.Simply wash in ethyl or methyl alcohol then filter or decant.;)
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2005 at 12:21

Paraformaldehyde, a polyether, has the following brief properties:
CAS NO. 30525-89-4
FORMULA HO(CH2O)nH (n = 6 - 100 )
MOL WT. (30.03)n
TOXICITY Oral rat LD50: 800 mg/kg
PHYSICAL STATE White solid, formaldehyde-like odor
MELTING POINT 80 - 155 C (85%), 120 - 175 C (91%), 175 C (95%)
BOILING POINT Slowly sublimes
SPECIFIC GRAVITY 1.25 - 1.35 (86%), 1.30 - 1.4- (91%), 1.35 - 1.45 (95%)
SOLUBILITY IN WATER soluble in hot water (insoluble in alcohol, ether)
pH neutral to litmus
AUTOIGNITION 300 C
FLASH POINT 63 ( 86%) - 93 C (95%)
STABILITY Stable under ordinary conditions (Slowly sublimes to formaldehyde)
GENERAL DESCRIPTION & APPLICATION
Paraformaldehyde is a white crystalline solid formed by polymerization of methanal gas (formaldehyde, HCHO) by heating. It is soluble alkali but insoluble in alcohol, ether, and water. It is used
as fumigant, disinfectant, and fungicide. It is used to make various resins with mainly phenol (melamine resin; phenol resin; vinylon; polyacetal resin; terephthalic acid; diphenyl methane diisocyanate, acrylic acid esters).

See http://www.chemicalland21.com/arokorhi/industrialchem/organi... , http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/paraforma... , http://www.proscitech.com.au/catalogue/msds/c007.pdf

Because it is a polyether, it may be possible to use it to chelate metal cations, including alkali and alkaline earth cations, in organic solvents, similarly to crown ethers (which are much more expensive).

Go To Top