Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Magnesium based cements
dankjones
Harmless

Mood: Ornery

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 18:08
Magnesium based cements

I'm trying to formulate a room temperature cement/ceramic that can be cast in a urethane mold (no CO2) and is very durable and heat tolerant, i.e. not prone to cracking due to being heated and cooled repeatedly to temperatures upwards of 800°F.

I'm partial to Magnesium based cements such as Magnesium Oxychloride, and Magnesium Phosphate.

Just about every thing I know about Magnesium based cements can be found in these 2 links:

http://www.techtransfer.anl.gov/docs/ceramicrete.pdf

http://www.premierchemicals.com/corner/articles/cements.htm

I'm leaning toward farm/feed stores as a cheap source of chemicals, but I am willing to pay more for just enough to experiment with. I already happen to have 1lb. of Magnesium Carbonate which I can fire (calcine) in my kiln to Magnesium Oxide. I believe 1300°C was a temperature mentioned as the ideal for one formula due to the fact that at this temperature all the pores close up, and surface area drops to a small fraction of what it would be at a lower temperature. Also it increases the energy of the bonds or some thing.

I think I need either some MgCl or Potassium Phosphate. Also, Ammonium Phosphate is mentioned in the first link. I found some of that at a feed store, but the process for that looks a little more involved.

Any assistance is appreciated. :D
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 20:03

Thanks for those very interesting links.
I never realised that MgO and MgCl2 form a very hard durable cement! The leaching with water is indeed a problem (MgCl2 is dissolved) but I imagine, putting the cast into a weak solution of Na2CO3 should put a resistant carbonate shell around it (see second link).

Anyway, I meant to suggest that the best source of oxides are pottery supplies. MgSO4 can be obtained from garden stores.
MgCl2- well you can make it yourself from HCl and MgO/MgCO3, both easily available.

As you seem to want temperature resistant material - did you have a look at this or even this thread?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
dankjones
Harmless

Mood: Ornery

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 05:47

I got the Mg carbonate from my pottery supplier. I asked them if they had Mg oxide, or chloride, but they did not.

I had seen the first thread, but not the second. this product sounds alot like the Mg Phosphate formula from the ceramicrete link I gave.

I should also mention that Mg Oxychloride is also known as magnesite cement, or sorel cement, but I can't seem to find any anywhere.

I think I'm leaning back toward Magnesium Phosphate Cements now.

I wonder what would happen if i used Ca Chloride instead of Mg Chloride.

I gots plenty of that.

Edit: Hmmmmmmm...

[Edited on 11-3-2005 by dankjones]

Go To Top