Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2- phenethylamine
chemchem
Harmless

Mood: happy jack

thumbup.gif posted on 10-4-2005 at 06:08
2- phenethylamine

i have a question hopefully someone can help me with..?? Would an amino acid ,for example phenylalanine , of whichever isomer,loose its clarial centre during a decarboxylation synthesis ?? would the product be 2-phenylalanine what ever isomer one used ?? i believe the answer is yes , but i would really apreciate and comments ?? thanks --phenethylamine is found in chocolates and has a strong fishy freebase smell !!
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 10:37

First, you ought to take note that PEA, your target compound, has no chiral centers whatsoever. (Sketch its structure if you believe otherwise).

Now, phenylalanine looks something like Ph-CH<sub>2</sub>-CH(NH<sub>2</sub>;)-COOH. Removing the -COOH group shoul now yield Ph-CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH<sub>2</sub>, which, if you look carefully, is 2-phenylethylamine (not 2-phenylalanine as you have mentioned).

Oh, and when your product is achiral, the chirality of your starting material usually doesn't matter! ;)

sparky (^_^)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."

Go To Top