Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Growing
Quince
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2005 at 19:46
Growing

OK, this is more botany than biochemistry, but I ask here anyway.
Would I be able to grow in Canada the deadly nettles Urtica ferox (New Zealand native) and Dendrocnide moroides (Australian native)? I know it's hotter there, but what if I keep them outside only in the summer? These plants have caused confirmed human deaths, but each has very different toxic chemistry, so it would be fun to play with. The latter can cause pain and numbness for up to year after contact, and the dried leaves are virulent for many decades.

[Edited on 22-10-2005 by Quince]

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell
denatured
Hazard to Others

Mood: HCl 50%?

[*] posted on 24-10-2005 at 23:46

Basically you can grow any plant any time anywhere...

If you provide the right variables which in general are : light , temperature , humidity.

You must know the temperature difference bewteen Canada(the place you intend to grow) and New Zealand...

Quince
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-10-2005 at 00:52

Well, I hope it's that easy. Look at the complete failure of anyone to cultivate many species of wild mushrooms, even though these things were replicated. I wonder how critical things like soil composition and fauna are.

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell
Nixie
Hazard to Others

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 14-1-2007 at 21:47

Well, mushrooms are not Plantae so the comparison is hardly valid.

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
gil
Unregistered

[*] posted on 15-1-2007 at 13:56

I agree ,NiXie.And many kind of wild mushroom are successfully cultivated ,for hobby or commercially.

Go To Top