Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Composition of "Ni99" welding rods.
jpsmith123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-11-2005 at 19:12
Composition of "Ni99" welding rods.

Does anyone know the composition of "Ni99" welding rods?

Is it nickel 200 alloy (commercially pure nickel) maybe? Or is it an alloy with something else? Also what's that black coating and does it come off easily?

Regards,
Joe
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2005 at 09:46

jpsmith123. Did you even bother to use the search engine? I found it right away with Google.
http://www.weldmark.com/public/products/pdf/wl-sae72000.pdf
Guess what, they are 99% Ni:P
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2005 at 15:27

Nickel 200, 201, 205, 220, 225, 230, 233, etc., might all be considered "approximately 99% nickel". I was wondering if anyone knew specifically what was used, since they all have a slightly different composition.

I was also wondering what the coating was.

Sorry if the question went over your head.
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 17-11-2005 at 06:13

I personally have no idea. Have you tried posting on a weilding forum?
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/forum_show.pl
bio2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2005 at 04:35

Try this!

http://www.matweb.com/index.asp?ckck=1
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 8-12-2005 at 07:00

Quote:
Originally posted by jpsmith123
Nickel 200, 201, 205, 220, 225, 230, 233, etc., might all be considered "approximately 99% nickel". I was wondering if anyone knew specifically what was used, since they all have a slightly different composition.

I was also wondering what the coating was.

Sorry if the question went over your head.

I am a welder: what would you like to know exactly about said rods?
I don't think the question went over the gentelman's head but rather, it was not specific to chemistry. Are you interested in the composition of the flux? "N" rods are nickel the varient is in the flux (their intended usage). Thus when you used the expression "their compostion" he may have assumed you ment the base metal.

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by quicksilver]

jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2005 at 17:46

Quote:

I am a welder: what would you like to know exactly about said rods?

Simple: What is the composition of the nickel alloy and what is the composition of the coating (the flux)?

Quote:

I don't think the question went over the gentelman's head but rather, it was not specific to chemistry

What forum would you suggest as being more appropriate?

Quote:

Are you interested in the composition of the flux?"

Well, in the thread you're responding to, I twice asked about the "coating", which I assume is flux, so I guess the answer would have to be "yes".

Quote:

'N' rods are nickel the varient is in the flux (their intended usage).

The rods are not pure nickel; rather, they are an alloy which is apparently *approximately* 99% nickel. As I mentioned earlier, there are many nickel alloys available which are approximately 99% nickel. I would like to know which one it is, or if it is not a standard alloy, then what is its composition?

If you contact a manufacturer of nickel wire for example, and ask what types of nickel wire he sells, he will tell you something like "I have nickel 200, nickel 205 and nickel 270". Then you can look up the specification of the alloy and get an idea of the composition.

Quote:

Thus when you used the expression 'their compostion' he may have assumed you ment the base metal.

I thought it was clear that I was interested in both base metal and flux. Sorry for my poor wording that has apparently caused so much confusion.
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 03:11

Hi JP Smith - I thought your question was quite clear.

Just out of interest - why do you need know?

These sites suggest that different manufacturers vary the flux composition. Maybe ask the suppliers?

http://www.key-to-steel.com/Articles/Art72.htm
http://eagar.mit.edu/EagarPapers/Eagar039.pdf

QUOTE:
The coatings of electrodes for welding mild and low alloy steels may have from 6 to 12 ingredients such as:

Cellulose, to provide a gaseous shield with a reducing agent. The gas shield surrounding the arc is produced by the disintegration of cellulose
Metal carbonates, to adjust the pH of the slag and to provide a reducing atmosphere
Titanium dioxide, to help form a highly fluid but quick-freezing slag. It will also provide ionization for the arc
Ferromanganese and ferrosilicon, to help deoxidize the molten weld metal and to supplement the manganese content and silicon content of the deposited weld metal
Clays and gums, to provide elasticity for extruding the plastic coating material and to help provide strength to the coating
Calcium fluoride, to provide shielding gas to protect the arc, adjust the pH of the slag, and provide fluidity and solubility of the metal oxides
Mineral silicates, to provide slag and give strength to the electrode covering
Alloying metals, including nickel, molybdenum, chromium, etc., to provide alloy content to the deposited weld metal
Iron or manganese oxide, to adjust the fluidity and properties of the slag. In small amounts iron oxide helps stabilize the arc
Iron powder, to increase the productivity by providing additional metal to be deposited in the weld
By using combinations and different amounts of these constituents it is possible to provide an infinite variety of electrode coatings. The binder used for most electrode coatings is sodium silicate, which is chemically combined and harden to provide a tough, strong coating.
The design of the coating provides the proper balance to give the electrode specific usability characteristics and to provide specific weld deposit chemistry and properties. In general, the different electrodes that meet a particular classification have somewhat similar compositions.

Good luck,

Regards,

P.
bio2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 06:20

If you had searched "nickel 99" on the link I gave above this is the first result from this page;

http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=NU...

Subcategory: Metal; Nickel Alloy; Nonferrous Metal

Key Words: AWS A5.15 Class Eni-Cl
Component Wt. %
C 1
Cu 0.1
Fe 3
Mn 0.2
Ni 95
S 0.005
Si 0.7

Material Notes:
Universal nickel alloy 99 is used for arc welding cast iron to itself, low alloy steels and carbon steels. Alloy 99 is used in those applications that require maximum mach inability or where thin sections of casting are encountered. Alloy 99 can be used in all positions with either AC or DCRP.

Information provided by Universal Wire Works for their line of welding wire and filler metal.
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 11:58

Hello bio2,

Actually I did go to that site. I entered "Ni99" into the search box at the top of the page, and got no results, So I assumed it was not in the database and gave up.

I just tried it again using "Ni 99", and I got results, including the one you just posted.

Thanks for the link.

Quote:

If you had searched "nickel 99" on the link I gave above this is the first result from this page; http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=NU...

Go To Top