Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Test results of my new equip.
lordmagnus
Hazard to Self

Mood: No longer annoyed ( I found a new girlfriend)

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 16:46
Test results of my new equip.

Well I just recieved my equip. yesterday that I ordered;
Snyder Column (250 mm)
Hemple column (28mm x 200mm)
Graham Condenser (200mm)
1500 watt light dimmer unit (for controlling hotplate)

I setup my rig, with some cheap VODKA (I mean tis is awfull stuff), anyway, I have a SS pot with water in it, and a 1000ml flask with a thermometer port, attached the Snyder column, and the distilling arm witha thermo port, and the graham condenser. I have teh condeser being fed with a sub. pump and 5 gallon bucket of water with a bag of ice in it, and teh water bath is being powered by a 1100watt hotplate (walmart special) running on high, but attached to a 1500watt light dimmer. At about 35-40% of max onthe dimmer, I have an excellent response, the Vodka temp is running about 85 Deg. C, and the distill head temp is running 77.5 or so, initally I had the temp to high, and the head was running at 82 deg. c. the product out of the condenser was oily and awfull (fusel oil, etc.), I have since put that in a seperate container, and have the temp where I want, I am now getting a very clean drip, and excellent flow rate for the size of my rig. I highly recommend the SNYDER COLUMN

I\'ll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he is gonna start a fair fight, or if he\'s bothrn me allot, or if I am getin payed good, or probably over a good woman.

-Jayne Cobb (Serenity)

MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 8-3-2006 at 17:03
Distillation rig

Sounds like your getting what you want ! That's great ! I'll stick with my old-fashioned still for
my hooch. Do you intend to make that ethanol anhydrous ? If so, I recommend the use of rock
salt.

BTW, if the temperature starts to rise in the distilling head after some time, above 78 C that
is, it's likely that most of the ethanol has come over, and you should stop the distillation if that's
what you're after. Those fusils are YUCK !

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
lordmagnus
Hazard to Self

Mood: No longer annoyed ( I found a new girlfriend)

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 17:37

Yeah, I decided to run a straight distillation with my take off head, and a liebig condnesor, just controlled the temp with the dimmer, to seperate the majority of the alcohals, from the water. Then I went back with the snyder collumn, and ran it, had excellent seperation.

I\'ll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he is gonna start a fair fight, or if he\'s bothrn me allot, or if I am getin payed good, or probably over a good woman.

-Jayne Cobb (Serenity)

Go To Top