Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Patriot Act or War on Drugs
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 18-7-2006 at 12:31

Quote:
Originally posted by Sergei_Eisenstein
I worked with diisopropylether only a few times. I found it to have a very interesting fruity smell, inviting for more.

Yes, lady D is a temptress... :P esp on a hot summer day. It would be interesting to hear if you also got the same effect or if it's only me that feels it that way, it really feels special so I wonder...

[Edited on 18-7-2006 by Sandmeyer]

Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2006 at 02:52

I must admitt that diisopropyl ether smells really atractive, way more atractive than ether. But I would rather not fell under its temptation or soon we will have another usefull solvent under the law supervision as it hapened to gamma-butyrolactone already.

Keep in mind that all good things must be banned. So it is better to keep it a mystery on why organic chemists like their work in the lab so much. It has nothing to do with certain solvent vapors, right? ;)

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 19-7-2006 at 07:11

the only advice I can give to all is Stock-Up NOW with whatever you can, it will be worth spending that little bit extra and obtaining it, even if it means that you live on baked bean on toast for a month or 2.

here in the UK things are getting a little tighter too :(
it would seem that everything else, America gets the flu, and the UK starts to sneeze also :(

hell we don`t even have our own original Police sirens anymore! MacDonalds Subway etc...
all here, incl your infectious anti-chemical disease :(

I recommend that any UKer and other similarly afflicted countries into the hobby of Chemistry buy all you can NOW!
don`t wait until it is too late, own it NOW and in Large amounts (where possible).

I would also say that if you Know of anyone making drugs or weapons with chems that you report them ASAP! and apply the statement : "if it wasn`t for the fact that I`m an amature Chemist/Hobbiest, you wouldn`t have had this BUST!"
or words to that effect, it MAY go towards Vindicating ourselves.

oddly enough, WE are on the Same Side as the Police! (think about it, WHAT is giving us a bad name???).

and so, it Might be an idea to actualy Support our "boys in blue"! yes/no?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 19-7-2006 at 09:16

Quote:
Originally posted by YT2095
I would also say that if you Know of anyone making drugs or weapons with chems that you report them ASAP! and apply the statement : "if it wasn`t for the fact that I`m an amature Chemist/Hobbiest, you wouldn`t have had this BUST!"
or words to that effect, it MAY go towards Vindicating ourselves.

The official police report on that will look something like this:

Quote:
A man came in on Monday and reported a meth cook to us before admitting to being one himself.

The first act was probably an act of revenge for a bad drug deal or possibly just eliminating the competition. The second is a little harder to explain. It was most likely a combination of hubris (he had just exacted revenge and / or eliminated the competition) and a momentary lack of judgment.

After his confession, the house of the informant was searched under probable cause and a number of drug-related precursors and chemical processing equipment were found. During routine interrogation, the suspect denied any illegal activity. The man clung to a story of hobby chemistry too well for us to extract a confession. No matter, the court will see his chemicals and equipment otherwise...

In the eyes of many police officers, having a test tube and cold tablets makes you a meth cook. Your last hope lies with the brainwashed masses who comprise the jury. See you in 20-life...

My advice is to keep your mouth shut and head over to RS and do a little reading. Your idealism will quickly be fixed.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 19-7-2006 at 09:23

YT2095, in the first part of your post you seam to pity your government for its collaborationism and its forcing of foreign values on your society and then in the second part you suddenly propose collaborationism as way to solve the resulting problems.
Could you please have consistent ethics? Cynism always confuses me. If being cynical was not your intent then at least put some more effort in analyzing the situation you propose a solution for.

Grab all the booty while you still can. Fuck the humans and praise the lords!
…said the butler.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Vitus_Verdegast
Hazard to Others

Mood: tea time

[*] posted on 19-7-2006 at 09:28

The life-history of a certain Vidkun Quisling comes to mind...

(if, as Nicodem previously implied, you were not being sarcastic)

Sic transit gloria mundi
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2006 at 10:33

Nicodem, I hedge my bets!

plain and simple, grab all you can NOW whilst it is still available to you.

any arg with that?

secondly, if us GOOD chemist help shift the bomber maniaics and the junky dealers (that give us ALL a bad name), then Kudos to us! maybe we can win a few points Back off them that`s been Stolen!

nothing more, nothing less. (exactly as I said on the tin)

Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Sergei_Eisenstein
Hazard to Others

Mood: training

[*] posted on 19-7-2006 at 12:47

Quote:
secondly, if us GOOD chemist help shift the bomber maniaics and the junky dealers (that give us ALL a bad name), then Kudos to us! maybe we can win a few points Back off them that`s been Stolen!

We, GOOD chemists, have already lost the 'war'. A problem from your side is a serious oversimplification of the issue. The problem at the surface indeed is that people with bad intensions can make explosives with relatively easily obtainable chemicals, but at the core of the issue is the fact that many people in our zombie consumer society avert everything that reeks after science. For this, mainly TV is to blame. People consider the world they see on TV as a true representation of real life. In other words, they don't raise eyebrowns when all the main characters in their favorite soap operas are wealthy lawyers and also have a lot of success in whatever carreer - albeit something that calls for a university degree - they pursue. It seems to be 'obvious' that everybody is rich, successful, intelligent and highly educated. Also in their favorite TV shows, scientist are almost always put into negative perspectives. They are murderers or are the cause for major problems. They are, simply put, the source of all Evil. Especially because people perceive the TV world as real, the picture of the scientist from TV is applied on the scientist of the real world. Mass media is a powerful tool that sadly enough is not on our side. It is also partially responsible for the fact that real sciences are much less popular today as they were in the days. Everyone wants to study wuss-stuff, like law, economics and - god behold! - spychology to fill their lives with the < blablablablabla ;) >

So, unless you can change this general picture, there is nothing you can do about it. By attacking this picture right in the zombie's face, you will only strengthen its conviction: scientists are a weird crowd, worthy of being kept under strict legal control.

damnant quod non intelligunt
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-7-2006 at 14:52

So, what you're saying is, everyone on this board is is or has made an explosive is the problem and will be reported to the police? That everyone who has made a mind altering substance is peddling drugs and will be reported?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Vitus_Verdegast
Hazard to Others

Mood: tea time

[*] posted on 20-7-2006 at 01:55

Who cares anyway about Joe Sixpack cooking up a gram of meth in his kitchen, while it will be the stuff organized crime imports daily in huge amounts (frequently with the co-operation of a few corrupt law enforcers) that will be presented to your kids on some moronic yet highly popular Saturday night rave party.

[Edited on 20-7-2006 by Vitus_Verdegast]

Sic transit gloria mundi
Sergei_Eisenstein
Hazard to Others

Mood: training

[*] posted on 20-7-2006 at 10:54

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris The Great
So, what you're saying is, everyone on this board is is or has made an explosive is the problem and will be reported to the police? That everyone who has made a mind altering substance is peddling drugs and will be reported?

No. What I'm saying is that the popular image of the scientist is not a good one, and that people who are not science enthusiasts will often categorize chemists among the more villain-type of persons. In this respect, it doesn't matter whether chemist means inorganic or organic chemist, polymer or medicinal drug developer, aficionado of mind altering or explosive substances. For the average Joe, all these types of chemists are often associated with images of drug cooks and terrorists. We know that's a false image, but try to convince them. In much of the Western World, the image of scientists as saviors of the human race simply does not exist anymore. A century ago, you might have advertised your brand as aspirin as being made by the finest stock of chemists from Germany. Today, the trick wouldn't work any more, unless you put a bunch of TV celebrities in a chemistry lab.

Quote:
Who cares anyway about Joe Sixpack cooking up a gram of meth in his kitchen, while it will be the stuff organized crime imports daily in huge amounts (frequently with the co-operation of a few corrupt law enforcers) that will be presented to your kids on some moronic yet highly popular Saturday night rave party.

Joe Sixpack is a much easier target for Law Enforcement. Why go through all the fuzz of catching international crime syndicates while Joe hardly knows how to spell his name and probably can't afford a good lawyer? This can happen in a democratic society, since democracy means different things to different people.

damnant quod non intelligunt
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 20-7-2006 at 20:07
Chemists

Why isn't it a good idea to turn in drugs/explosive makers to the cops ?

I'll give you an analogy: Many years ago, it was proposed that the BATF be merged in with
the Secret Service after many years of complaints by gun dealers and owners alike of the
abuses. Seems that some of the old boys couldn't get beyond the cowboy tactics of
their still-busting days where they would resort to any means necessary to prosecute
a moonshiner.

A(refused to be identified) Secret Service official said that when you mix clean water with
dirty water all you end up with is lot more dirty water. Just imagine that being applied to
chemists.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 21-7-2006 at 06:53

I didn't say that turning them in would be a bad idea, I said that adding the line
Quote:
if it wasn`t for the fact that I`m an amature Chemist/Hobbiest...

was sheer stupidity.

Decreasing the number of meth cooks in the world by one won't help anything. You won't change the police's perception of chemistry nor that of the general public. The phrase “drop in a bucket” comes to mind.

YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2006 at 07:32

well for MY part I accept totaly that my outlook on it is Idealistic, but non the less I still hold that opinion until I hear of something Better (and I`m all ears / open minded about this).
I still hold to the idea that we Should NOT give up! and that we should obtain all the chems we possibly can WHILST we can.
That point I`m inflexible with.

but if some IslamaFacist was cooking a bathfull of HMTA or TCAP next to me, I`ve have the tw@ Busted in a heartbeat!

same as if some druggie cook tried selling meth (or whatever) to MY child, BUSTED!

providing I didn`t do it Myself First!!!!:mad:

[Edited on 21-7-2006 by YT2095]

MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 22-7-2006 at 07:37
Bad Actors

YT2095, sorry if I misunderstood your post about turning in bomb/drug makers. I understand
turning in ANYONE whoes intent is to HARM others. No problem there. The person who makes
somes drugs or a couple of M-80's for personal enjoyment is not a threat to me and I wouldn't
turn that type of person in to law enforcement. The problem I see is that all chemists get painted
with the same brush and we all suffer the derision of society when the bad actors, such as
terrorists or the assholes selling drugs to kids end up it the local news coverage. The same
can be said for stupid kewls who inadvertently hurt/kill themselves and others because
of their stupidity.

Like my Secret Sevice analogy on "dirty water", we're all considered "dirty water" every
time a chemist fucks up - deliberately or accidentally.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top