Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Webhosting?
Yes, x =< US$5 --- 1 (16.67%)
Yes, US$5 < x < US$10 --- 1 (16.67%)
Yes, US$10 < x -- 0 (0%)
Depends on storage limit/bandwidth -- 0 (0%)
Maybe --- 4 (66.67%)
No -- 0 (0%)

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Webhosting?
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 15-3-2006 at 17:14
Webhosting?

The idea has been floating around for a while, and it's high time to conduct some market research. Who would like a domain at sciencemadness for all of your science related madness?
I personally would love to have a site where I could host my sciencemadness (and other related madness). Imagine having your research/experimentation/preps&synths etc. hosted right next to everyone else's! No longer would one have to traipse about the internet after the readily available chemicals website, and then back to Bromic's wealth of information - it would all be at one location. wow.

SO, would you buy a domain here, if one were available - and if so, how much would you be prepared to pay?

P.S. I'm not trying to cajole any mods into a thankless sysadmin job, this survey is more like a personal interest.

Caveat Orator
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 15-3-2006 at 17:28

I think you should be a bit more specific.
Would it be competitive with independent providers? Or is it some sort of indirect donation?
The dollars refer to what, per month?

Then of course there's the issue of security and payment - not easy to arrange.

Still I think it would be nice.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 15-3-2006 at 23:35

Payment would be easy, just send Polverone a chemistry book with a dollar bill between each page until you have enough to pay for your hosting. I remember the old thread about this but nothing ever came of it. It would be nice though if there were a bunch of pages up at sciencemadness as long as none of them were too Kewl. But isn't disk space an issue at the moment, I seem to recall something about that being an issue because of the library and was ready to donate some of my webspace again for hosting of the older books that are in public domain (but the issue never came up again). Personally I already have my hosting paid for, but if there did come up a hosting package with sciencemadness I would be tempted to make a different page with a theme separate from my own (maybe of experiments that work for a change ;)) None the less, it would seem prestegious to have sciencemadness.org in your very own webpage address.

[Edited on 3/16/2006 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-3-2006 at 10:38

I have my website on my own device, located at my house (a Linksys NSLU2 with a custom built Linux kernel and some self-written software in C for the experiments data). Someone from this forum already is so kind to give me a DNS-name (woelen.scheikunde.net), which is redirected to the IP-address of the device in my house. So, for hosting, I do not have a need, but having an additional domain name, like woelen.sciencemadness.org, pointing to my website would be very nice of course ;). This would be a nice addition, with scheikunde.net and scienemadness.org being used besides each other, each with their own emphasis :).

Offering subdomains *.sciencemadness.org for a few dollars per year could be a nice alternative or supplement to offering webhosting. Even if a few tens of members were willing to do this, then quite a nice amount of money could be raised for paying the hosting of the sciencemadness forum.

[Edited on 16-3-06 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top