Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sulfur from SO42-...maybe?
Sulfurous
Harmless

Mood: Yellow

[*] posted on 23-3-2006 at 20:21
Sulfur from SO42-...maybe?

Hello, I'm new here so...yeah :D. Ok down to the point. I was looking through my massive electrochemical ]series chart and came across several reactions that might (if I am correct) lead to sulfur by electrolysis.

the first reaction at the cathode is as follows:
SO4 2- + 4H+ + 2e- ---> H2SO3 + H2O E = 0.172V

and if I remeber correctly sulfurous acid should be a weak acid, thus not all of it breaks away to form HSO3-...so if that is true then this reaction should lead to sulfur:

H2SO3 + 4H+ + 4e- ---> S + 3H2O E = 0.449V

and at the anode H2O ---> O2 + 4H+ +4e- E = -1.23V which I assume could replace the lost acid.

So gentelmen what do you think? Is this possible or am I just a stupid fool? (don't answer that :D)

[Edited on 24-3-2006 by Sulfurous]

Who doesnt like Sulfur?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 23-3-2006 at 20:46

Hmm in general sulfate is very stable, there's no reason it can't be reduced as posted but it sure doesn't seem to want to?

Usual way to reduce sulfate is just blast the damn thing with charcoal and fire, dropping it down to sulfide (+6 to -2 oxidation state change!) by the reaction R2SO4 + 4C = R2S + 4CO. (CO bubbled through a molten sulfate (Na2SO4, etc.) or passed over hot refractory sulfate (CaSO4, etc.) might work, producing CO2. I don't know.) From there, an acid anhydride (e.g., SiO2, B2O3) can be added to release the more volatile sulfide anhydride, otherwise known as sulfur. (Note that CaSO4 + 4C > CaS + 4CO, wait hmm, CaS + SiO2 = CaSiO3 + S(g) doesn't quite balance? Well anyway, note that CaSiO3 (or Ca2SiO4) melts to glass at a good yellow heat plus some.)

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Sulfurous
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2006 at 21:11

Ah I see, that is quite a heat intensive process. But what would cause this reaction, as posted, to not happen? Perhaps it is possiable but too slow or energy consuming to be used commerically.

Who doesnt like Sulfur?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 23-3-2006 at 21:32

Honestly I don't know enough about the ins and outs of electrochemistry to explain why there are all of these electrochemical reactions listed that simply don't occur, many of them are likely just so you can balance half reactions or something, but they're all supposed to be for aqueous solution so why do they have reactions that don't occur in aqueous mediums? I am reminded of when I noticed there were reductions in my electrochemical chart for phosphate going to elemental phosphorus.... but it doesn't happen under normal aqueous conditions, other reactions happen instead. Same for sulfur, though it is comparatively eaiser to free from the sulfate then phosphorus is from the phosphate.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Sulfurous
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2006 at 21:50

I see what your saying, but how would they get the E values for the half reactions? Also, just out of curiosity, why doesnt phosphate go to elemental phosphorus (is the E value more negative than -0.83?)?

EDIT: oh btw if some of the values/half reactions dont really happen in an aqueous medium, it would be rather....useless dont you think?

[Edited on 24-3-2006 by Sulfurous]

Who doesnt like Sulfur?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 24-3-2006 at 07:12

Not necessarily. Na has a reduction potential. You need more stable ionic solvents is all.

Reactions in general are reversible, so you can find the potential from oxidation *or* reduction. Oxidation of course is much easier for sulfite, so it would seem.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 24-3-2006 at 11:30

You can make sulphur from sulfate in aqueous medium, but the yield is terrible. It is interesting from an academic point of view, not from a practical point of view :D.

Add some zinc powder to dilute sulphuric acid, one can also use a solution of sodium sulfate in dilute hydrochloric acid. The zinc dissolves. Most zinc is used for making hydrogen, but there are side reactions:
* sulfate --> sulfite (or better in the acidic liquid: sulphur dioxide)
* sulfate --> sulfide (or better in the acidic liquid: hydrogen sulfide)

When you smell the liquid with the zinc, then unmistakenly, the smell of rotten eggs is present. When all zinc has dissolves, then add a small amount of dilute H2O2. A slight turbidity appears. The dissolved H2S is oxidized to S (H2O2 + H2S --> 2H2O + S).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
praseodym
Hazard to Others

Mood: crazy

[*] posted on 24-3-2006 at 23:03

Wouldnt the addition of zinc to sulphuric acid gives you zinc sulphate and hydrogen instead? Y is it tt sulphite and sulphide will b produced?
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 24-3-2006 at 23:18

Yes it would be mostly making H2 and ZnSO4, but sulfate is a weak oxidizing agent in acidic conditions, and zinc is a pretty good reducing agent. Evolution of H2 is most prominent becuase of its entropy.

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 25-3-2006 at 09:51

We are overlooking nascent hydrogen. This is made when Zn reacts with an acid. Nascent hydrogen is a very strong reducing agent and I'd bet that this is reducing the sulfate.

hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2006 at 18:58

If you add an iodine salt such as KI to concentrated H2SO4 the H2SO4 will be reduced to various products including SO2, H2S, and free S. In fact this is used as a test for iodide.

Go To Top