Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 28-3-2003 at 12:38
reactive target composition

Quote:

To: (my e-mail address)
Subject: reactive targets

Reactive targets have been a topic of interest occasionally mentioned online. These targets are containers of a sensitive mixture which detonates when impacted by a bullet, producing an immediate evidence visible from long ranges that a sharpshooters bullet has found its mark!

The Boomershoot group in Idaho uses a potassium chlorate sensitized Kinepak type mixture, and have been investigating methods for eliminating or reducing the need for the chlorate to improve the safety of the mixture.

In my first communication here, I reported an experiment for producing a mixed organic peroxide which was about half and half mixture of Acetone Peroxide and MEKP, formed as a liquid from common ingredients. The purpose was to produce a liquid explosive fuel / sensitizer for experiments with a composition similar to Kinepak. The sensitization of otherwise insensitve materials by organic peroxides is described in US4196026.

It has occurred to me that the mixed organic peroxide is probably also soluble in nitromethane or other fuels, and that its mixture with such materials then used to dampen dry ammonium nitrate could result in a range of sensitvities which could be adjusted according to the content of the organic peroxide component in the mixture.

For example, if two parts of the mixed peroxide were mixed with eight parts of nitromethane, and then this solution was used to dampen the ammonium nitrate, the result might possibly be a reactive target requiring no chlorate, yet still be sensitive enough to the impact of a rifle bullet to provide reliable detonation. This property of the mixture may make it useful also as a booster for ANFO or other similar applications. I have done no experiments to confirm the validity of this hypothesis regarding the reactive targets. I am simply sharing my thoughts on this for anyone who may wish to do experiments with such compositions.

Go To Top