Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium Metabisulphite
kyro8008
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 12:01
Sodium Metabisulphite

When Sodium metabisulphite is dissolved in water, I am under the impression that the following occurs:

Na2S2O5 + H2O --> 2NaHSO3

What I dont know is if this reaction goes to completion and the speed of it, does it happen as it dissolves or should it be left in solution for some time, etc?

Reason: I want to make some Sodium Sulphite:

NaHSO3 + NaOH --> Na2SO3 + H2O

Thankyou.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 12:13

The reaction is fast and adding NaOH will make it faster.
What do you want Na2SO3 for?
Vitus_Verdegast
Hazard to Others

Mood: tea time

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 13:05

It is useful in the Sandmeyer reaction: production of phenylhydrazine from aniline
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv1...

and in the preparation of cuprous halides from copper sulfate
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv3p0185

[Edited on 11-6-2006 by Vitus_Verdegast]

Sic transit gloria mundi
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 13:27

Yes, adding NaOH to a solution of sodium bisulfite will immediately give a solution of sodium sulfite. You will be able to tell by the pH (it will stay more or less acidic until the stochiometric amount of NaOH has been added).
Na2S2O5 is an acidic salt.

Heating Na2S2O5 also gives sodium sulfite (and SO2), and its already dry. But you will get only half as much as you get when using NaOH.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
kyro8008
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 00:29

Thanks for all the replies, thats what I was hoping to hear.

Nothing too exciting im afraid, I wanted to make some sodium thiosulphate (Boil sulphur with solution of sodium sulphite), its also good for a easy quick source of sulphur dioxide (acid + sulphite).

Also, an interesting reaction I read about involving just the hydrogen sulphite and mixing with acetone: (NaHSO3 + CH3COCH3 --> (CH3)2C(OH)SO3-Na+) - a bisulphite adduct or something I think it was called.

Also Vitus_Verdegast, thats interesting about preparing copper(I) salts; another reason I want sulphite is as it is generally a good reducing agent.

Thanks all :)
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 06:38

For thiosulfate, you need either very finely divided sulfur, or heat under pressure (beyond 100°C), or heat really long. You have to have a means of testing for unreacted sulfite.

As a quick source of SO2, sodium metabisulfite is actually much better, as it releases the same amount of SO2 with only half the amount of acid used.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
kyro8008
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-6-2006 at 09:55

I didnt realise sodium metabisulfite could be used directly for SO2 production; thanks garage chemist, although it makes alot more sence now.

I have very fine powdered sulphur but I have the feeling that it will not be as easy as it looks on paper...

Thanks.
AllanD
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-7-2006 at 20:17

Sodium Meta-bisulfite is most commonly used to clean winemaking equipment (most commonly cleaning wooden barrels)

Potassium metabisulfite is used as a source of direct addition of SO2 to Wine primarily to inhibit several different bacteria and fungus species Until the yeast (winemaking yeast strains are specifically selected to tolerate SO2) can "defend" itself by it's own antibiotic and fungus toxin production... I.E. Ethanol.

AllanD
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 17-7-2006 at 01:03

I use the stuff in tablet form for homebrew, these: http://www.homebrewers.com/product/800145

they dissolve entirely and crush up very easily too, and if there IS a binder it`s in insignificant quanties as to be completely ignorable for the most part.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
AllanD
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-7-2006 at 08:35

In tablet form it is generally refered to with the british name of "Campden Tablets" and the usual binder is (which should be unsuprising) Corn Starch.

I use it in the pure (USP-Food Grade) powdered form and I buy it in 1 kilo bags, the same way I buy Food Grade Malic Acid and Tartaric Acid, though obviously I use it far more slowly than I use the acids...

I make my own "Acid Blend" omitting the Citric Acid that is usually included in commercial acid mixtures, as I have family members that have a chemical sensitivity to Citric Acid.

And No, I don't use Ascorbic Acid instead of Citric, because a few of my prefered yeast strains have a tendency to produce H2S and will do it with far greater efficiency if Ascorbic Acid is present in the fermenting "Must".

Though I must add that beer/ale yeast strains are NOT specifically bred to tolerate SO2 like wine yeasts are, so you should proceed with extreem caution lets you get a "stuck"
or failed fermentation.

AllanD

Go To Top