Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oxidation of orangic compounds with sulfur?
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-6-2006 at 23:42
oxidation of orangic compounds with sulfur?

I have been wanting to know how one might go about oxidizing an organic molecule with sulfur, now obviously it is going to depend on the chemical. So let look at oxidizing Limonene into p-cymene just for the heck of it, I cant think of anything else that would need to be oxidized my sulfur at the moment, can you?
I know p-cymene is made my oxidizing limonene by sulfur, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene it says:
Oxidation using sulfur leads to p-cymene and a sulfide.

But how could you do this? Simply mixing limonene and sulfur together wouldn't of course (well at least i would me surprised if it did), but maybe you could dissolve in them in a toluene like substance and reflux for several hours?
I honestly cant find much information on this, any word on what one could do even the name of what this reaction is called, would be nice!

Now I don't plan on making p-cymene but I think the way it is oxidized could be put to use to make other compounds and its really just killing me how they do it.

Hope there's not a thread on this, oxidize and sulfur came up with about every thread imaginable haha.

Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 16-6-2006 at 23:55

I'm fairly sure that so long as O2 is kept away from the reaction mixture to an adequate degree mixing and heting would work. Alternatively as you suggested S8 will dissolve quite well in toluene so when a solution of sulfur is added to a solution of limonene in toluene some slight heating should do the trick. I'm not sure if an acidic environment would help but maybe.

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2006 at 00:23

Oh really? Thanks.
Wouldnt you tend to think that toluene would react with sulfur though?

What other kinda of organic chemicals might be able to be oxidized with sulfur, this seems like it would be pretty fun to do sometime :P

edit: just a thought, isnt Al sulfide kinda hard to make? you could add Al powder to a sulfur toluene mix perhaps.. if that isnt how we make it already?

[Edited on 17-6-2006 by kclo4]

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2006 at 05:56

IIRC this is one of the traditional old methods used in structure determination. You mix the stuff with sulphur and heat it. The sulphur strips hydrogen from the compound and leads to an alkyl derivative of an aromatic ring system with (pretty much) the came carbon skeleton as the original compound. Analysis for this gives you an idea of the structure of the original.

For example, all the steroids give rise to "Diels' hydrocarbon" under these conditions.
As a synthetic technique it works, but it lacks finesse. Selenium is sometimes used in the same way.
Nerro
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2006 at 06:01

I dont really see any readily available way for sulfur to react with toluene.

I've also never considered Al2S3 (if thats the stoichiometry), I suppose a thermite type reaction should do the trick.

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

he was a fucken impostor

courtesy of bash
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 17-6-2006 at 08:11

Al2S3 can be produced as a residue from reducing sulfates, e.g., 3 Na2SO4 + 10 Al = 6Na(g) + Al2S3 + 4 Al2O3, which of course is pyrotechnic (hence I say "residue") so would need a moderator (NaCl on Al melt perhaps, with Na2SO4 added gradually) or a compound with less oxygen (3 Na2S + 2 Al = Al2S3 + 6 Na), though that doesn't solve the excess of sodium produced (for better or worse ;) ). Direct synthesis of course, but you'll have to add a lot of some moderator to cool it down.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2006 at 09:22

Last time I checked Al wasn't organic so that's off-topic.
Nerro
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2006 at 13:09

Neither are "empty" posts appreciated unionised ;) The division "organic / inorganic" is a bit strange anyway. There are so many things you can do with other elements than carbon. It's a bit shortsighted IMHO.

When you've prepared these sulfurcompounds (thioethers, thioles etc.) what do you intend to do with them? Sulfonates seem to me like an interesting type of compound. It is as easy as oxiding -SH groups to acquire them?

[Edited on Sat/Jun/2006 by Nerro]

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

he was a fucken impostor

courtesy of bash

Go To Top