Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buy old FTIR from ebay
krysoft
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 12:46
Buy old FTIR from ebay

Hi guys, I'm looking for some equipment to analysis materials, I found some FTIR spectra database with many organics. I'm not chemist but I'd like to use analysis of food, water etc, could be possible? I spent a lot of time looking for info about chemical analysis methods what for use (GC-MS, UV-Vis.....) and I did't find much info about this. I looked to ebay and find some old FTIR with software that could be good for my purpose.

Thank you very much for your answer and sorry for my english.

Regards Krysoft
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 13:29

I have no experience with FTIR but my Gf's mother does. From what I understand thru conversations, these machines can be set for very narrow band detection or some in wider band (i guess wavelength, and software have to do with this).

I would begin by contacting the manufacturer of the machine you are looking at. Ask the operating parameters of the model number/name you are looking at, and see if they have the software available for your intended purpose.
I would also ask if they still offer factory support, and parts for this model. It will do you no good if it is not or can not be calibrated to fit your use. Many times a $25.00 part fails, and is no longer available. Thus they wind up at auction somewhere.

By the way... Your English is more understandable than mine.:)
Good luck. I hope it suits your need.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
krysoft
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 03:43

Thank you for your response. I know that parts could be the problem, especially the detector but expect these component could be repairable (power source, laser etc.) I read on the internet that FTIR don't need external calibration. I found this page about FTIR looked this

http://www.thetruthaboutforensicscience.com/tag/ftir/

What does it mean "The FTIR gives an answer and the GC/MS tests the hypothesis." I understand that FTIR shows spectra of cocaine but when "testing hypothesis" cocaine not found in sample. I didn't understand why..
Thank you for your ansrwers again,

Best regards K.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 10:35

I think what that article says is, the FTIR will read lets say carbon molecules but that is all it reads (just an example). The machine has no way of knowing where these molecules came from so it is up to the operator to judge where the source is. If you are sampling a chicken bone it is safe to say the carbon came from the chicken.

A GC machine will show all of the components of a sample, and therefore reveal what the entire sample is made of. It narrows down the possibilities of what you are sampling.

So again I THINK the FTIR is only good for detecting certain compounds within a sample but you have to know what the sample is composed of, and you may not know the true identity or the source of the detected anomaly.

This is just MY take on this. If the machine showed lead in a fish sample, i'd probably eat chicken.

Maybe someone here has real experience with the machine, and can provide more accurate help.

[Edited on 28-1-2015 by Zombie]

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
22-11-2023 at 19:09

Go To Top