Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making a Heated Sparge Tube
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 04:42
Making a Heated Sparge Tube

Nice work as always Magpie.

I ran into a similar problem in another project making a kanthal wire to copper wire connection that you ran into with your toaster wire (nichrome?). The best solution I found was not to bother with welding/soldering with metal/alloys. I did a wire wrap, simple as that, I bent one wire in the shape of a clasp, fed and wrapped the other wire through, and tightened the clasp via pliers.

I do like the variac idea, but when I was experimenting with resistive heating elements I found it very easy to destroy the wire by too much power. I opted to use a "wall-wart" and a potentiometer, then again, it seems like you are trying to give off a lot of heat.

Great idea though, I remember thinking about needing something like this in the past but never went through with the project.

edit - nevermind the TUBE failed, not the wire contacts. Sorry for misreading!

[Edited on 13-5-2015 by smaerd]

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 13:49

edited:

I have removed this procedure until I can develop a more rugged tube

The non-annealed and annealed sparge tubes failed in testing while using water. The inner tube separated just above the fused joint. The fusion itself is solid.

I now have access to my neighbor's oxy-acetylene torch. But the fusion is not the failure point. Maybe a thicker walled inner tube will solve this problem. It is also possible that my testing has been too severe.

[Edited on 20-5-2015 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 15:02

Variac ?

Use PWM, please (you should know better smaerd !)

If it's 110VAC or230VAC use a thyristor and an opto-coupler with a zero-crossing detector built in.

smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 28-5-2015 at 10:23

Aga - why use PWM for a resistive circuit? Heating wire is essentially a resistor whose resistance remains constant at all temperatures (unless failure occurs), so why not use a potentiometer to create a super simple voltage divider circuit?

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 28-5-2015 at 12:51

I just find PWM easier and cheaper is all.

Edit:

Not that it matters much, but resistors are temperature dependent, hence the 5%, 1% rating etc.

[Edited on 28-5-2015 by aga]

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 14:17

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  

The non-annealed and annealed sparge tubes failed in testing while using water. The inner tube separated just above the fused joint. The fusion itself is solid.

I tried an annealed glass sparge tube with an inner tube of 1.5mm wall thickness. Same result, ie, fracture right at the end of the inner tube. I am therefore abandoning this effort.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top