Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preferred form of persulfate
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 13-9-2006 at 11:11
Preferred form of persulfate

Is there a favored form of persulfate compounds (e.g. cheapest/best keeping/most pure/etc).

Ammonium persulfate is more soluble than potassium persulfate, I couldn't find data for sodium persulfate. There is also something called "Oxone", which is something like 2 KHSO5 / KHSO4 / K2SO4.
Since the peroxodisulfate ("persulfate") splits up in water (IIRC) I'm guessing than "Oxone" is more or less equivalent to real persulfate.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 13-9-2006 at 13:35

Persulfate, S2O8(2-) does not split up in water. No peroxide is formed (e.g. no blue color is produced with acidified dichromate, while this is a VERY sensitive test for peroxide).

I have (NH4)2S2O8 and this stores indefinitely, provided it is stored absolutely dry and in a very well closed container. I also have Na2S2O8. This is less hygroscopic than the ammonium salt, but it is said that this slowly decomposes on standing, giving off O2. In the long run, sodium persulfate is not stable. Potassium persulfate is the most stable on storage, but it has only moderate solubility. I have all three of them, and for experiments I like the sodium salt the most (only persulfate is the active ion), then ammonium persulfate (which dissolves very well) and last potassium persulfate, which is not sufficiently soluble to my opinion.

As pyro-oxidizers, all these persulfates suck. I have tried making some mix with these, but these peroxides have a too low free oxygen level, compared to their weight. Only one of the oxygens of the entire S2O8(2-) ion is available for oxidation purposes.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 13-9-2006 at 13:38

Actually, sodium persulphate and sulphur does burn... very slowly! Good stuff for fuses, who knows. Plus lets not forget the complex persulphates, i.e. copper amine persulphate, which DO burn rather well :)

Otherwise I agree, the sodium persulphate is best for most purposes, and easily obtained.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)

Go To Top