Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Double Bank vacuum manifolds (3, 4 or 5 port) - what are they useful for?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 10:26
Double Bank vacuum manifolds (3, 4 or 5 port) - what are they useful for?

I'm not sure what these are exactly or what they are used for. found a number of these (chemglass) that are available in 3, 4 or 5 ports but I'm not sure what they are used for and in what type of chemisty.

Are they common? Could they be useful to people here? They are crazy expensive (new retail) when I look at prices online but the pricing at this bankruptcy sale some are $50 (retail is like $1200 for same model)

If any members in good standing could really use something like this I will order one (or two) if they could use it. This company has about 40 they are selling and many don't have bids yet.

manifolds.jpg - 231kB
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 12:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my1YR35W7Co
Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 13:07

Crying slightly at the chemglass stuff, the 50L reactor! The shipping kills the bargain value on this stuff. I've got to make 5 of these with 5 ports, these would be snapped up.
Although we tend to use the double oblique tap style here more often.
adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 16:06

I will take two or three. They are used for Schlenk techniques; working with inert gas and vacuum.

Please get in touch.

accounts@argentscientific.com or send me a PM

A
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 10:39

hey all, sorry I didn't respond yesterday as I was tied up loosing bid after bid for a few hours (2 days in a row). First time I never won an auction bidding on almost 30 lots (and not low balling either). was the last bidder in 15 auctions but someone always tied me the last minute to go into overtime. So, as that happened, the next auction was ending (sometimes within 2 mins) so it was a mess.

Has anyone here ever bid on these bankruptcy, going out of business or gov surplus auctions? Have any of you ever thought there was something shady/fishy/underhanded (depends upon where your are from what you call it) going on with them, like bid blocking, or fake bidders winning the bids (such as bidding higher amounts than item costs new delivered)?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 19:30

I suspect that many are rigged, I have also tried to buy a few specific items at them, many had complex rules that they would not mention until you wanted to buy something, only one company was able to ship things, you could not pick things up yourself, etc. Often the same few companies seem to win most of the good items. They leave the broken crap for the rest.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 20:08

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
I suspect that many are rigged, I have also tried to buy a few specific items at them, many had complex rules that they would not mention until you wanted to buy something, only one company was able to ship things, you could not pick things up yourself, etc. Often the same few companies seem to win most of the good items. They leave the broken crap for the rest.

The last auction I won was a large lot of computer equipment that had been pulled from a working enviornment so they were all working. I had an hour to pack about 8,000 lbs of equipment,which included inspection. The auction had about 50+ pictures that I combed over in EXTREME detail for days so I knew everything that was there, that was in the pics. When I got home and unloaded I found that there were missing CPU's and 64GB ram per machine (we're talking major money here that was missing). I have a feeling the warehouse guys knew they could pull those small parts, shrink wrap the skids back up and get it out the door in the 1 hour appt window. I called the police but they said there wasn't anything that could be done which I still think is BS. That was a Gov auction though..

I wonder if these auctions fall under some kind of federal regulation. I know it would be breaking federal law if they do something illegal as it is sales across state lines. Anyone know what the statute of limitations is (felony theft of well over $10,000) on something like this?

[Edited on 10-3-2017 by RogueRose]

Go To Top