Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calcium nitrate solubility in acetone
a123x
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2003 at 08:58
Calcium nitrate solubility in acetone

Producing Calcium nitrate from ammonium nitrate and calcium hydroxide is a rather irritating task to do so I'm trying to find an alternative method. According to someone on a different board Ca(NO3)2 is soluble in acetone but KNO3, KCl, and CaCl2 aren't. Thus Ca(NO3)2 could be made by dissolving stoichiometrical amounts of KNO3 and CaCl2 in water, then after evaporating the water dissolve the Ca(NO3)2 into acetone. I guess that method is still a bit of work but it is less annoying then having to boil a Ca(OH)2 and NH4NO3 solution for a long time. Anyway I just figured I'd check here to ensure that those solubilities and insolubilities in acetone are correct.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 3-6-2003 at 17:19

Would you like me to try and look up my sources again? There were at least two for each chem. so it may take a while. I think you could also just look up the electronegitivity values for each one and see. I don't recall where acetone starts to dissolve in EN values. Perhaps someone else would know.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
a123x
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2003 at 13:35

Where do you get the info on different solubilities anyway? I can never find anything but solubility in water and occasionally solutbility in alcohol when searching online.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 4-6-2003 at 14:18

Well the Calcium Nitrate solubility in acetone is in some msds I found, and product specification sheets I found:
http://www.timechemicals.com/products2.htm
http://www.chemsupply.com.au/MSDS/1CH1N.pdf

The rest I basically search around for and get lucky. Most of the time I can't fine solubility in specific compounds, besides water or alcohol, but rather for organic solvents or the like. I think fo the most part if its soluble in alcohol its soluble in acetone, and the same applies to insolubility.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top