Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Amalgamation Test
Baphomet
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 16:51
Amalgamation Test

Hi people

I've been wondering recently how effective my amalgamation solution (2% HgCl2 and HCl) is given that it contains about 15% W/W HCl and hence has a low pH.

Even when diluted it etches aluminium and copper quickly, making me wonder if the mercury ions have time to attach in great number.

Of course, I might try neutralising the solution first and see if that works. But another question is raised - is H2O2 a good way to qualitatively gauge how effective an amalgamation is?

My reasoning is that a piece of aluminium that is etched but not amalgamated would eventually stop reacting with H2O2 but an amalgam would continue to react until only Al2O3 is left (assuming enough H2O2 is present).

Is this correct? Your comments are welcome
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 19:25

pre amalgumate your aluminum then once she starts to fizz in alcohol add your acid. as of yet I have not seen some one do this with aluminium only zinc amalgum and hcl. but it makes sence that it should work. I would say your reducing nitroalkenes correct. if so make amalgum first. this is general practice anyway. if you look in voguels you will see they recomend it even if not done in acidic conditions.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

Go To Top