Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HgO decomposition: your thoughts
sirius_cm
Harmless

Mood: Tetrahedral

[*] posted on 5-6-2003 at 17:21
HgO decomposition: your thoughts

Well, I still have some of the good ole stuff in my closet. I have been thinking of what I can do with this, and you know that I love mercury. Well, I was thinking of getting one of those nice propane torches for this experiment.

2HgO --> O<sub>2</sub> + 2Hg

But the real question is safety. I know this stuff is nasty. I know that I can handle the HgO in open ventilation with out much trouble in terms of respiration problems. But the vapour is what im worried about. Now, do I try to aquire an ideal 2 ringstand 2 clamped testubes with a tube running to the other, one heated and one in an icebath for collection of mercury. Now I know it also produces Oxygen, and I dont want the pressure to explode or anything. What would you say would be the ideal way for this reaction to take place?

edit: I know that the mercury will collect on the cooler part of the test tube, but is the hazard of the vapour still there? besides the mercury itself, would there be much of a problem in a ventilated area, like outside?

another edit: I was doing more research and found that the density of the vapour is 7 (air = 1) (http://www.ertco.com/msds_mercury.html). This means that it will stay in the tube, as long as it isnt agitated, could this mean i heat this, then when the red oxide is done then put it in a icebath to cool it compeletly and the vapour condenses? Sorry, im just very safety concerned.... and I want this Hg badly :P

[Edited on 6-6-2003 by sirius_cm]

Alpha Canis Major
\"The Enemy Gate is Down\"

Go To Top