Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Use of Flat-bottemed flask in Reflux.
alyks
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2007 at 12:07
Use of Flat-bottemed flask in Reflux.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use a Flat-bottomed Flask for a normal Reflux, Reflux with drying tube, and Reflux with a Separatory funnel connected to a Claisen adaptor. I know you have to use Rb-flasks for anything with a vacuum, but what about this?
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-1-2007 at 13:03

a good quality glass like "pyrex" for sure....

if it has seems like a jar... then brakey brakey... if you heat it unevenly
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-1-2007 at 15:25

I have also used a flat bottom flask on occassion. It works.

Joe
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 26-1-2007 at 00:44

It's normal to use a flat bottomed boiling flask for reflux if you are heating with a hot plate rather than a mantle, See Corning Pyrex catalog for many examples of such flasks with standard ground glass joints.

Your addition funnel should be the pressure equalizing type with glass stopper closure and a standard taper joint. PTFE stopcocks better than glass usually (no grease required.) Choice of condenser depends on what you are refluxing. For very volatile or low boiling material you need a very efficient reflux condenser. There are many types.
alyks
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-1-2007 at 11:59

I have a jointed Separatory funnel with a glass stopcock. Could I buy a PTFE stopcock replacement on ebay? For example: http://www.agile-fx.com/catalog/stopcock.jpg Which is selling on ebay.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 26-1-2007 at 15:06

Don't bother. Just wrap your glass stopper with a bit of thin teflon plumbing tape, that'll stop it from getting stuck.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
kaviaari
Hazard to Self

Mood: Going green

[*] posted on 26-1-2007 at 23:09

I think that sometimes the flat-bottomed flasks are way more useful. You don't have to fool around with oil or water baths. Only take the bottle and put it on the heating plate. Most of the time I'm using erlenmeyers with grounds joints as reaction flasks. And when using erlenmeyers you don't have to have cork rings of any kind. Although cork rings can be replaced quite easily with tape rolls, beakers etc.

alyks
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-1-2007 at 10:50

Quote:
Originally posted by kaviaari
I think that sometimes the flat-bottomed flasks are way more useful. You don't have to fool around with oil or water baths. Only take the bottle and put it on the heating plate. Most of the time I'm using erlenmeyers with grounds joints as reaction flasks. And when using erlenmeyers you don't have to have cork rings of any kind. Although cork rings can be replaced quite easily with tape rolls, beakers etc.

You can put the Flat-bottomed flask directly on hot plate? I had no idea.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-2-2007 at 11:46

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Don't bother. Just wrap your glass stopper with a bit of thin teflon plumbing tape, that'll stop it from getting stuck.

Don't do this, it might work briefly but is the wrong approach. Use silicone stopcock grease. A tube will last years.

a pressure equalizing addition funnel can be improvised with a straight vacuum adapter and cork and tube or gas release joint (basically a st joint closed with a fitting for tubing). Run a length of tubing between the vacuum adapter and the top of the sep funnel. Or buy one used .. I picked up three of them for under $10 apiece.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 5-2-2007 at 12:03

I have some 10 packs of teflon joint sleeves, size 24/40 for $20 with free shipping if anyone is interested.

They are vacuum tight and beat the hell outta stopcock grease... no hard to clean up residue!

[Edited on 5-2-2007 by evil_lurker]

Go To Top