Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Feed your bacteria some cadmium. Make acetic acid.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-8-2017 at 15:12
Feed your bacteria some cadmium. Make acetic acid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40975719

This is an interesting idea. I have long been interested in artificial photosynthesis -- it would seem to be a more practical option than photovoltaic cells in many situations. Storing the energy as a fuel rather than in a battery has certain advantages.

I recall hearing about a similar idea involving a ruthenium catalyst (and rather a lot of it too) where water and atmospheric CO2 was converted to ethanol IIRC. there were certain hurdles to the process including catalyst availability. I have not come across any further developments for a while.

This is a new idea and somewhat simpler -- a kind of hybrid chemistry/bioengineering approach. From the article I am not really clear how it works. Cd is added to a bacterial broth and photosensitive CdS crystals are excreted and stick to the surface of the bacteria. I gather that the bacteria then produce acetic acid in response to electrical energy produced in the crystals. But the article is not explicit on this point.

A whopping 80% efficiency is claimed -- well in excess of plant photosynthesis. (This claim warrants some further investigation -- what is the baseline used?) Furthermore they assert that there is room for more improvement including bacterial processing of the acetic acid to butanol.

I love reading about these kind of new ideas and look forward to seeing if the claims are legitimate and whether this might lead to some new energy technologies.
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 23-8-2017 at 02:06

That is interesting hopefully soon semisynthetic biology will become more amature friendly

With the diy genetic engineering crisper kit for $150
Eventually there could be a new topic called biological engineering or into the biochemistry page making chemicals from yeast like oil but where to start how to replicate results

Back to the topic so I have a dish of incubated certian type of bacteria put nano cadmium powder that was made by cadmium oxalate decomposition then added in water then add the bacteria I think the bacteria forms the cadmium sulfide if I read that right

[Edited on 23-8-2017 by symboom]

Go To Top