Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Methanesulfinic Acid and Halogenated Derivatives
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 02:26
Methanesulfinic Acid and Halogenated Derivatives

Alkanesulfinic acids are lower oxo acids of sulfur with an alkyl group attached.

R-S(=O)-OH

Very simple molecules, but how the hell are they made?

Oxidation of a thiol? Ugh, methyl mercaptan, not a fun idea. But this is actually one of the known methods.

I am interested in a general route to these and to halogenated variants such as chlorofluoromethanesulfinic acid.

Alkylsulfinic acids seem to be a lot more obscure than the corresponding alkylsulfonic acids. In fact it turns out that the alkylsulfonic acids are a starting material for these products, by way of reduction with Zn dust in alcohol. I am tracking down a few leads and will report what I find.

In the older lit. the term "methylsulphinic acid" predominates.

Anyone have any knowledge of these?

[Edited on 3-2-2007 by Sauron]

methanesulfinic.jpg - 3kB
leu
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 03:35

These compounds have been made by the reduction of sulphonyl chlorides with zinc or sodium sulphite, by the action of sulfur dioxide on zinc alkyls or magnesium alkyl halides and by cleavage of ethylene disulphones with alkalis or cyanides :P

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
Furch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 04:18

Indeed... From the mere look of its structure, I would say that the most feasible way to produce it would be from the actio of an organometallic compound (Grignard or alkyl lithium) on sulphur dioxide.

Reaction oughta occur a la Grignard reagent on carbon dioxidide to yield given carboxylic acid, thusly:

RMgX + CO2 --> R-COOMgX -H+-> ROOH

And in the same fashion the alkanesulfinic acid should be had:

RMgX + SO2 --> RSOOMgX -H+-> RSOOH
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 05:41

Thanks guys. The situation seems quite straightforward for the simple case of the unsubstitutes acid. Methanesulfonic acid or its chloride are easy to buy. I have nt found a single instance of a halogenated or dihalogenated methanesulfonic acid, except for trifluoromethanesulfonic acid, which is not what I am after.

This suggests that one would have to halogenate the methanesulfinic acid after reduction. Certainly in the case of zinc dust/alcohol reduction I would expect the methyl Cl to be stripped off.

While in principle the stepwise chlorination and fluorination could be done, it would be a pain to perform, and I am hoping to find something a little more elegant.

One old approach is to reduce trichloromethyl sulfenyl chloride (perchloromethyl mercaptan) then oxidize it to the acid. The starting material is a waste product and a nasty one, from the chlorination of CS2 to CCl4. I would be happy if I could limit the declorination to removal of a single cchlorine and then, after the oxidation, exchange one of the two remaining chlorines for a F.

In case you are wondering what the interest is, the sodium salt of halogenated (and probablt -un) methanesulfinic acids can be converted under quite mild conditions by H2SO4, KNO3 and NaNO2 into the corresponding nitrosomethanes in high yield. (1930s)

A much more contemporary process c.1990 involves nitration of 1,2dichloro-1.2-difluoroethylene, hard to come by these days, to produce chlorofluoronitroacetic acid, which upon treatment with red fuming nitric acid gives the chlorofluoronitrosomethane.

I am trying to elucidate how the Russians are making this stuff, which they are, and that double nitration does not look like fun.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 12:48

Here's the contemporary rxn scheme to make the same nitrosomethane intermediate. The problem is, how to buy the CFC starting material these days? Not so simple. Making it means replicating Swatz's work from 110 years ago and lo and behold - in this country tetrachloroethylene is banned.

And that is why I am looking for other routes.

FDNM.jpg - 10kB
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 13:03

Any of the several routes to the methanesulfinic acids or methanesulfonic acids that start from halomethanes like bromomethane or iodomethane, are facile enough for the unsubstituted example.

But what about the chlorofluoromethanesulfinic acid target?

That would mean starting with chlorofluorobromomethane or chlorofluoroiodomethane. Not exactly off the shelf!

The initial formation of the Grignard reagent (or zinc alkyl) from such a species would probably proceed as desired toClFCH2MgI but then I'd expect some side reactions to form ethane rather than the coupling with SO2, but hopefully the rates would be different enough to keep this down to a dull roar.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 14:03

Loew, Zeit. f. Chem., 1869, p. 82

CS2 oxidized with potassium dichromate in presence of nitric and hydrochloric acids forms methanesuulfonyl chloride. I mention this mostly for those who want to make their own reagents.

Methanesulfonyl chloride, which can also simply be purchased, can be reduced as described by @Furch and @Leu above.

However for my purposes the best procedure appears to be to make use of trichloromethyl sulfenyl chloride, which I will have anyway as byproduct of making my own CCl4 from CS2 and Cl2 over activated carbon. Normally the CCl3SCl is a nasty waste product good for little besides making into thiophosgene (which is useful.)

The trichloromethyl sulfenyl chloride is reduced with sodium amagam to methanesulfonyl chloride. I would like to find a more selective and milder reducing agent, I'd like to be able to end up with dichloromethanesulfonyl chloride.

From there, two steps:

1. Replace one Cl with F

2. Reduce to the sulfinic acid without dechlorinating the methyl group. @Leu suggests sodium sulfite. That makes sense.

-------

Hmmm. How about bromoform or iodoform as starting materials to get to the methyl halides? Replacing two of the Br on bromoform with Cl and F ought to be easy enough. Same with iodoform. I guess the tricky part will be to avoid replacing all the heavier halogens.

BTW the Grignard route, once the appropriate alkyl halide is obtained, is vis the reaction with sulfuryl chloride to give the methanesulfonic chloride which is then reduced to the methanesulfinic acid. This is unsurprising since sulfuryl chloride is really just an adduct of SO2 and Cl2.

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2007 at 11:59

I have concluded that the methanesulfinic acid route is not required for the purposes I had in mind, but I did uncover a number of interesting ways to produce the alkylsulfonic acid and their chlorides and the corresponding sulfinic acids. These are in addition to the suggestions and input from fellow members above.

Alkyl halides to alkylthiosulfate sodium salts, by treatment with sodium thiosulfate. Chlorination gives alkylsulfonyl chlorides.

Alkyl halides to alkylisothiouronium salts (by treatment with thiourea), chlorination gives same product as above.

Both are a lot less hassle than a Grignard prep not to mention having to prepare sulfuryl chloride.

Oh, and as an aside:

Heating methanesulfonyl chloride, which is both OTC and easily prepared, produces two things:

Phosgene

and

Thionyl Chloride.

The former is readily made by other means but SOCl2 is a pain to make. If someone absolutely needs SOCl2 this is a decent way to get there.

I only know of one other good way:

PCl3 + ->SO2Cl2 = POCl3 + SOCl2 (AC as catalyst)

But this obliges you to prepare PCl3 and sulfuryl chloride, doable but not so convenient. It does have the virtue of yielding (after fractionation) POCl3 and SOCl2, both useful.

However there are far easier ways to POCl3 and very viable alternatives to SOCl2 for many purposes.

[Edited on 5-2-2007 by Sauron]
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2007 at 12:10

Quote:

Alkyl halides to alkylthiosulfate sodium salts, by treatment with sodium thiosulfate. Chlorination gives alkylsulfonyl chlorides.

This seems very interesting. Sauron, do you have some refs on this? I can't acces the library for a while now..
I guess chlorinating arylthiosulfate sodium salts would equally yield the corresponding sulfonyl chloride?
LSD25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Psychotic (Who said that? I know you're there...)

[*] posted on 29-11-2007 at 16:49

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron

... Oh and as an aside:

Heating methanesulfonyl chloride, which is both OTC and easily prepared, produces two things:

Phosgene

and

Thionyl Chloride.

The former is readily made by other means but SOCl2 is a pain to make. If someone absolutely needs SOCl2 this is a decent way to get there...

Do you have ref's for this? I am seriously interested as methanesulfonyl chloride is a hell of a lot closer to OTC (via regulatory status) than bloody thionyl chloride. I know of at least two decent routes to methanesulfonyl chloride and no decent routes to thionyl chloride, so yes, I am interested.

;)

Whhhoooppps, that sure didn't work
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2007 at 19:31

If you look at the date on that post you will understand why I do not immediately recall where I found that information.

Anyway the downside to this route is having to get rid of (or store) the phosgene.

If you just want SOCl2 there is a better way.

Benzotrichloride and phthaloyl chloride in presence of ZnCl2, 20 hours at 200 C in an autoclave. Gives almost quantitative conversions to phthaloyl chloride and benzoyl chloride.

Phthaloyl chloride can also be purchased.

Phthaloyl chloride reacts with SO2 (dry) to give SOCl2.

I posted the JACS article by Thomas Kyrides about this some time back. UTFSE on phthaloyl chloride and you should find it quickly.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2008 at 02:21

The above should read: "benzotrichloride and phthalic anhydride..."

Anyway len1 has cast some doubt on this reaction. He could not replicate Kyrides' result.

I think it is still worth another look, though. Kyrides was a reputable chemist from a large well known company (Monsanto.)

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.

Go To Top