Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Melzer's reagent & chloral
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 07:56
Melzer's reagent & chloral

I want Melzer's reagent for mushroom ID. I don't have chloral hydrate (chloral) and from what I've read here, it's a real time consuming pain in the rear to make. I searched Google for Melzer's and found a site in Britain for members only. I'm still trying to find Melzer's reagent rather than make it although chloral is sometimes used separately in mycology too but not very often.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 09:50

Get or make trichloroacetic acid.

Reduce it to trichloroacetaldehyde. There are reducing agents that stop at the aldehyde stage.

Trichloroacetaldehyde is chloral.

This is a lot less of a pain then chlorinating ethanol or acetaldehyde, but, I don't think those are particularly onerous, as chlorinations go. You don't need a whole lot of product, I take it?

100 g? 200 g?

Didn't I post a review on chloral chemistry not long ago?

The chlorination of ethanol proceeds stepwise, first oxidation to acetaldehyde, starting at 0 C. Then first, second and third chlorines added, with temerature progressing from RT to about 100 C. With a decent Cl2 generator and temp control should not be too much bother.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 22:40

I didn't find your review .. I'll look for it. You've been a consistently reliable source and no, I don't need much .. I daresay 100 g would last quite a few years if not a lifetime. I'm not inducting sailors into the British Navy... ;^)

Go To Top