Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitriles
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 15:01
Nitriles

What Nitrile is used in Nitrile Gloves? I am guessing that they could be a potential source for some Nitriles by heating them to turn a polymer to a monomer...

Alternately, I suppose various nitriles could be obtained by the reaction between Alcohols and Hydrogen Cyanide, but that is the messy way. However, if it is the only/most efficient way, does anyone have suggestions on making the process as pain-free as possible? :)
Darkfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wondering

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 22:06

Well ive never really looked into it but heating some potasium ferrocyanide and acid might be a cheaper and less suspicius (sp?) way to make the HCN than using sodium or potasium cynide and acid, then again you already know this and im just posting because im bored :(

\"I love being alive and will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it. I will seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.\" Duane Allman
DDTea
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 08:30

Potassium Ferrocyanide and Acid will make Hydrogen Cyanide?? I never knew that! Ahh, we learn something new everyday :D.

Now I am thinking... If Ferrocyanides are in Prussian Blue, would adding a few drops to the pigment be a way to obtain Hydrogen Cyanide?
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 11:54
alcohols and HCN?

It would be nice if it were that easy, but I don't think it is. I think you need to react a sulfate/chloride/bromide (etc.) of the alcohol with a cyanide. I recall, for example, that dimethyl sulfate can be reacted with NaCN to form acetonitrile.
DDTea
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 15:24

Well that is still not so bad then. Dimethyl Sulfate is a very useful chemical for us amateur chemists, for it can be used in many applications to introduce a Methyl group. It can also be used as a substitute for Methyl Iodide in some instances.

Its synthesis is rather easy- Methyl Alcohol + Fuming Sulfuric Acid. Yes, I am sure about this one ;) . This method also gives high yields too... this is according to "The War Gases" by Mario Sartori :).

Oh yes, it has also been suggested/used (can't remember which) as a skin damaging agent, because in contact with moisture, as on the skin, it liberates Sulfuric Acid.
Nick F
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-7-2003 at 06:11

Not just on the skin, Samosa, but it is easily absorbed IIRC, and is hydrolysed under the skin to release sulphuric right inside your cells. Nasty!

Go To Top