Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alternatives for H2SO4
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 21:58
Alternatives for H2SO4

I know this will not give great results, but I thought I'd ask.

Would an 1L of an 18M solution of sodium bisulfate equal anywhere near the equivalent of 1L 18M H2SO4? Would it even be feasible to make an 18M solution of NaHSO4, or would it reach a saturation point long before that?

[Edited on 11-5-2007 by egloskerry]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 22:41

First, you will never obtain 18 M solutions of NaHSO4. Only the pure solid comes to this kind of molarities. In solution you may reach a few mol/liter concentration.

Second, NaHSO4 is a great compound, when it comes to replacing dilute sulphuric acid in aqueous chemistry experiments. I frequently use it as a safer and easier to handle alternative in experiments, which call for dilute H2SO4. In many cases the Na(+) ions do not have any bad influence. However, NaHSO4 is totally useless when some experiment calls for concentrated sulphuric acid. Even the most concentrated solution still is considerably weaker acid than a similar solution of H2SO4. This is because of the lower acidity of bisulfate ion, and because only half the amount of potentially available H(+) is present.

Next time, please try to think about a better title of the topic. This is not about synthesis of H2SO4, more about alternatives for H2SO4.

[Edited on 11-5-07 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2007 at 07:42

Alright, I changed the topic per your request.

I didn't think I'd get anywhere near concentrated, but I figured I'd ask. If it is a viable alternative for a dilute acid, that's great, because it'll save me a lot of money.

Go To Top