Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glucoside half-life
cerberus1983
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-5-2007 at 00:22
Glucoside half-life

Once a plant glucoside has been extracted using ethanol, how long can it remain in the solution without denaturing, and can it be poured into a different medium, a glass of suger for instance, and the alcohol allowed to evaporate off, without damaging the glucoside? Any help would be appreciated...thanks guys...
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 21-5-2007 at 00:34

Glucosides undergo hydrolysis via the acetal-hemiacetal mechanism. In absolute EtOH they should last for a very long time. In fact, even with water and EtOH they should last quite a while unless the pH is significantly off 7.

In a soln. of maybe 20% HCl the glucosides are completely hydrolyzed within 1/2 an hour.

This is just going from memory, but I can check my notes if this doesn't help you.
cerberus1983
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-5-2007 at 03:05

Thanks for the reply Pyridinium, just what i needed to know...

I have two more questions if you dont mind.
1) Would temperature have any effect
2) How long would a gluscosides properties last if the glucoside/ethanol liquid were poured into another substance, eg suger or powdered flower, and the ethanol allowed to evaporate off...

Thanks alot
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 21-5-2007 at 10:38

YEs. Temperature will have an effect. Look up Arrhenius kinetics (the rule of 10 and 2). Egads! what are you planning to do with this stuff? Please tell me this is not for human "consumption".

you other thread looks quite a bit like this one.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 21-5-2007 at 11:12

Quote:
Originally posted by cerberus1983
Once a plant glucoside has been extracted using ethanol, how long can it remain in the solution without denaturing, and can it be poured into a different medium, a glass of suger for instance, and the alcohol allowed to evaporate off, without damaging the glucoside? Any help would be appreciated...thanks guys...

Mind that a homicide by inducing cancer would still be punishable since the attorney could easily demonstrate that ptaquiloside is a known carcinogen and you had premeditation for the poisoning act. Though I have to admit that it is indeed impossible to trace back the poison to the laced sugar, tobacco or whatever you had in mind. But you still leave other kind of incriminating traces around (like posts here). Anyway, I do not like the abuse of this forum for such nefarious business. :mad:

PS: More importantly, I find it really annoying that you just had to start 4 threads on the same subject!
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8520
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8173
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8217
and this one. (could one moderator please join all these?)

[Edited on by Nicodem]
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 21-5-2007 at 13:44

If I'd known this was to extract that particular compound I'd not have answered it. This is what I get for believing that every poster on here genuinely loves science. :mad:

You do realize that, even if your intentions are good, it kind of looks otherwise. From now on I'm going to have to be on guard about answering questions from potential k3wls / druggies / bomz0rs / poisoners.

That's the only problem with an open forum where most of us are on the "up and up" but a few people come in and spoil it.
cerberus1983
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-5-2007 at 23:50

Good grief people...
if i was trully planning to harm someone i wouldnt have mentioned ptaquiloside, nor would i have chosen to use it of all the thousands of poisons available... The reason why i did mention it was because as far as i know, carcinogens tend to become stronger when heated, but i assumed that glucosides would decompose under high temperatures... so there was obviously the conflict there and i required confirmation. You shouldnt all be so quick to jump to conclutions about motives. to those non-delusional/ helpful members, thank you for your input (particularly Pyridinium)
. And btw Nicodem, asking whether or not something decomposes when smoked is not asking if something decomposes when in boiling water, in future if you dont have a decent piece of information for me, feel free to stay out of my post.

Go To Top