Printable Version  
Author: Subject: legal talk or something deeper
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2007 at 14:09
legal talk or something deeper

I have seen more and more on almost any thing that is packaged the phase:

Use of this item for any intent other then what is was packaged for is againt federal law

this is just way too feeble. If I took a calculator apart and used the solar panel and LCD screen for somthing else, that could be considered a crime....

it just goes of the deep end real fast, im scared
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 27-5-2007 at 14:27

A step above the 'We have no liability if you use this product for anything other than its intended use'

I hope it is nothing more sinister than a new way of reducing liability.

Looks like the nanny state cavalry keep on marching.

MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 27-5-2007 at 15:38
Solution

Then repack it in a container of your choice if it is feasible. Then throw away the original
container.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 27-5-2007 at 22:57

You haven't seen any manufacturer actually cite exactly what "federal law" is being putatively violated, have you?

That is because it is sheer bullshit and there is no such "federal law".

It is a fundamental tenet of property rights that the owner can do bloody well with HIS property what he feels like, irregardless of the "intent" of the manufacturer. If I buy a car and use it as a doghouse I would suggest that GM or Fordf or Toyota has no fucking business telling me that I can't do so.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 07:03

"If I buy a car and use it as a doghouse I would suggest that GM or Fordf or Toyota has no fucking business telling me that I can't do so. "
True, but toyota isn't the federal law.
I too would like to see any evidence of this law but It might exist in some cases. For example, for me to take the oscillator out of this computer and use it to make an unlicesed radio transmitter or to take the polonium out of a static eliminator and use it to eliminate a former KGB officer would be illegal.

I believe that taking the radioactive source out of a smoke detector (or any other source from any other item) is illegal in the states no matter what the intention is.
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 07:11

what yall are saying makes sense... its a liability issue more then likely

the same reason we see less and less diving boards at a public pool.....

ive seen the statment more on medicines and chemicals more then anything else...
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 07:12

Those are special cases where the state has an overriding interest in public safety (as regards radioactive sources) or the integrity of radio communications (as regards licensing of radio transmitters). I do not believe that the member who started this thread (the friendly Gnome with a wandering foot) had any such instances in mind.

Anyway you know as well as I do that the Po didn't come out of an antistatic brush, it came out of the Soviet space program and into the hands of an "ex-KGB" type probably still working for the Kremlin if not the FSS which replaces KGB.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 07:16

Generally chemical manufacturers have a demurrer about their products not being for food, drug or cosmetic use - that is just to make the FDA happy.
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 08:07

Quote:

integrity of radio communications

well when its time to get the message out
ive always wanted to portable jammer

when the FCC comes to terminate the broad cast
all they will find is a chinese generator some radio eqiupment on a trailor in a field ....

im not advocating any overtly illegal actions .... but im upset that all my AM radio staions are nothing but fuzz.... because there is no money to be made from broadcasting say oldies
on AM 1420

yes thats right the only oldies station around turned off and into talk radio becuase of funding. In the name of order, the whole radio dial is fuzz and government approved fairness doctrine stuff!!!
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 07:09

Has there been an agreed upon " fairness doctrine "? I haven't kept up with it. Has there been anything legislative beyond a proposal? A Google lead me in circles.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 09:00

The "fairness doctrine" hasn't been enforced in decades. That's good. Broadcast licenses have become more consolidated than ever. That's bad.

I would personally like to see all commercial broadcast spectrum turned into somewhat of a free-for-all like the spectrum WiFi currently operates on. There would be transmitter power limits and perhaps other technical specifications that must be followed, but no licensing process and no means or effort to sell exclusivity. If broadcasters can't agree among themselves how to share spectrum, no big deal -- people will just get the strongest signal from the transmitter closest to them.

Selling exclusive rights to electromagnetic broadcast is about as good an idea as selling exclusive rights to speak in public.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address

Go To Top