Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Magnetism and Color Change
Chemophiliac
Harmless

Mood: In the mood for some chemistry!!

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 21:16
Magnetism and Color Change

It recently occured to me that it would be extremely bizzare for there to be a magnetic (either ferromagnetic, ferrimagnetic, or paramagnetic) compound that changes color in the presence of a magnetic field. I imagine that there are such compounds; the color change caused by deformation of the electron distribution in the molecule or something along those lines. Have such things been synthesized?
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 23:32

ah yes....

well first off hemoglobin... red and blue yes this is determined by oxygen binding, but tracking the spin state of the iron atom threw crystal field ligand theory we see a di to para magnetic shift on that atom.....

in the deep theory of the Philadelphia project, making navy ships invisible by bending its light, the sailors on board the test were over come by the strong fields and supposedly fused into the metal of the ship etc.etc...

but a great color change crystal is diethylaminetetrachlorocuprate.
made by mixing diethylamine and copperIIcloride in anhydrous alcohol...

the green crystal changes to a reasonable yellow with mild heat then back to green. the limitations being moisture sensitive and over heating to decomp.....

i havent traced its lone pair electrons to know its magnetic field, but
i do think a magnet can cause a color change if thats your question....

finally i might as well mention that i am tinkering with a chemical motor concept targeting the change of a material from di to para magnetism threw chemical que

imagination turning aluminum into iron ( in terms of magnetic field domains!!! just an example ) and back again

im not trying to cheat thermodynamics but our hemoglobin does deliver oxygen for a few decades .....

Go To Top