Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Burn Saltwater
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 01:17
Burn Saltwater

after watching this video, you will want to know also im sure
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8670604913508341677...

how did he make this machine?
resources?
references?
etc etc
i would be interested in trying it if it was fairly easy
theres a lot you could do with this machine

Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 06:39

The media are morons. The boiling salt water vapor, plus whatever else he put in the test tube, in the microwave oven may look like it's 'burning' but it's not. This guy already wants to 'sell' the idea to a bunch of suckers. He manages to get his Stirling engine to run on the heat. Wow. The media can't seem to get enough of the 'burning water' theory of energy production. What an indictment that is of our media. There is a sucker born every minute.

The gold nano-particle treatment for cancer was mentioned a year or so ago.

The media where I live actually were touting magnets on your fuel lines to 'energize' your gasoline a year ago. Putting a flourescent bulb in an RF field is an old trick that anybody who has made a Tesla coil will remember. It works well with with a CB radio too.
JustMe
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 06:41

Interesting.

But y'gotta wonder how much electricity is being sucked up to run the radio wave generator? TANSTAAFL.

It looks impressive, but it might turn out to be bad science.

[Edited on by JustMe]
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 06:45

Looks like good ol' plasma to me.

Hasn't it struck any of the "scientists" that this takes considerably more energy than it gives back? (thermodynamics anyone?)

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
phj
Harmless

Mood: inquisitive

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 06:54

It seems to me quite obvious that indeed the radiation generator uses much more energy than the flame will produce.
The "baffled scientists" truly are a disgrace to science.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 07:41

Can't help but wondering if there isn't enough spillover from the microwaves to heat the Stirling's heat acceptor without the need for any flame.
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 08:53

I find the reaction interesting because the water is not boiling in the usual manner (bubbles forming at nucleation points along the inside of the test tube). I am curious what frequency he is using. Putting a test tube of water in the microwave, the water doesn't just boil at the top.

It's also interesting that the flame has to be catalyzed by NaCl. Why no splitting of H2O without it? The first thing I'd want to do is try other compounds.

I'm always skeptical of claims of over-unity generators, but the chemistry in this case is at least pretty interesting. I wonder how many microwave ovens I can destroy trying to duplicate the results :P

The old radars used to kill birds in flight. Maybe they still do, I don't know if they're as wasteful of power nowadays. If that device of his has enough power to flash boil and burn salt water, I wouldn't be sticking my hand in there like he did. The blood contains NaCl and water..... :o

Which brings me to one final idea. It would seem the interface with air is required for the splitting; I guess that's why the blood in his hand didn't flash boil. Seems to be gas phase only, perhaps even catalyzed by some oxygen species? I am too lazy at the moment, but one of us could look up the energies for all this...
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 11:12

I just think it would be cool to make whatever he did with an aluminum pan and stuff

obviously this is mostly bs or we all probably would have heard it by now right?

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 11:38

"this is the most abundant element in the world, water"

--er, I thought water was a compound? I'm picking pepper obviously, but yes, I think it's funny they don't mention how much power it takes to run.
Perhaps this is something one of us could try and replicate?
How much salt is required?

Edit: @ time 3:25, you can actually see an analog power meter of some sort: goes up to 1400 watts.

[Edited on 19-6-2007 by Fleaker]

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 12:36

From what it looked like, very little
but im sure results would very on the concentration of the salt

jimmyboy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 22:03

electrolysis is old as dirt -- but it was neat seeing that radio waves could do this.. pretty obvious it WILL NOT be an energy source..
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 22:08

The more I look at this, the more I want singlet oxygen to be involved. Even if it's not.

I also want to see some tests with KCl, KBr, MgCl2, CaCl2, etc. Let's see what else catalyzes that fire.

The experiment is already pretty cool, but how much cooler would it be if bromine were emitted....
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-6-2007 at 23:27

ah yes, alright so the question i want an answer to is this: if these microwaves are able to do something similar as electrolysis does, so how can, or why cant a normal microwave do the same?
is there a way to make it?

this could revolutionize the entire way of making perchlorate!
:)

Waffles
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-6-2007 at 01:14

Hahah. I like how all the 'scientists' and 'engineers' were amazed right along with the sap's wife and news people. RADIO WAVES. UNBELIEVABLE

I'm surprised the flame only reaches 1500C. Oxygen-hydrogen theoretically gets much hotter, and tube should be releasing the two in stoichiometric amounts..

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 20-6-2007 at 03:46

Which isn't very important because there is enough oxygen to react with all the hydrogen anyway :P

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-6-2007 at 07:41

The color of the 'flame' looked a lot like that of a high pressure sodium lamp, very yellow orange. I think the boiling water was carrying enough salt in it to form a plasma. I wonder how long it will be before he has to have his cataracts removed? Playing around with strong RF fields, especially microwaves, is a good way to coagulate all sorts of proteins, even non cancerous eye tissue.
jimmyboy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-6-2007 at 11:51

ah yes, alright so the question i want an answer to is this: if these microwaves are able to do something similar as electrolysis does, so how can, or why cant a normal microwave do the same?

actually this is a pretty good idea - especially for electrolysis of unstable and corrosive materials -- imagine all the electrodes you would save ... no more need for graphite / platinum / rhodium -- hmm i wonder if the radio waves could be applied to molten solids as well - another route to sodium production haha :D

[Edited on 20-6-2007 by jimmyboy]
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-6-2007 at 12:46

As with the microwave plasmoid http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/oa_plasmoid.htm
you need some sort of like ionized carbon or something in order for it to work

so, what if you had a very small electric current in a solution or maybe you would need a larger one, and then turned on the microwave?
perhaps that would work? just to get the ionization of course, and then it could take off, and you could turn off the current

Perhaps you might need to put some sort of metal specks in it as well, such as Al *it reflects Microwaves* this would do something interesting also, but of course they would oxidize but then it might not matter after it starts

Also i was thinking maybe the microwave's microwaves are simply not strong enough, so how could we amplify it?
perhaps take 2 bottoms of a pop can, and put them together, after all they do reflect microwaves, and they are parabolic

... just a few ideas probably not to good ones but, i don't know i might try some if i get the chance too...

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 12:00

Go To Top