Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Peptide coupling reagents?
redbaron
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2007 at 08:52
Peptide coupling reagents?

I've been looking for a good source that offers pretty much any peptide coupling reagents- HBTU, HATU, or PyBOP namely- that will sell to an independent research group. I keep finding uses for them, but it seems that nowhere other than the dreaded sciencelab.com will sell them to someone not associated with a university or big-name lab. We aren't looking for industrial amounts either- a few grams would be great. I realize they aren't the most common chemicals, but there really is a lot you can use them for- does anyone have a source?

[Edited on 28-6-2007 by redbaron]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 28-6-2007 at 10:28

Is there any special reason why don't you buy them from the chemical resellers? What does your (non) association with university has to do with the purchase? Peptide coupling reagents are not regulated or watched as far as I know. There are no paper forms to be filled for their purchase.
redbaron
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-6-2007 at 13:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicodem
Is there any special reason why don't you buy them from the chemical resellers? What does your (non) association with university has to do with the purchase? Peptide coupling reagents are not regulated or watched as far as I know. There are no paper forms to be filled for their purchase.

That's the thing- I can't find any chemical resellers that have them that will sell to non-businesses even though they are pretty innocuous chemicals. Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough. If you know of anyone, please let me know.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 28-6-2007 at 14:26

Try the following search:

pybop "add to cart"

One of the first 5 sites listed appears to accept orders without asking for business/institution name, and offers a wide variety of peptide coupling reagents and related products.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 28-6-2007 at 16:01

I buy them from suppliers in China.

Usually I buy in kilo quantities. Prices are very low compared to the usual suspects (Merck, Aldrich, Nova)

In some instances the quality needs to be double checked, in others the sellers have proven to be very reliable, not ony for coupling reagents but for amino acids Boc or Fmoc protected.

They also sell protecting reagents.

I got a Kg of N-Boc-Tryptophan for $100 plus courier service to my door.
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 2-7-2007 at 21:33

china is a real good source for all manner of chemicals but for the less fortunate among us how would you advise to deal with customs would they pose a hassle?

[Edited on 3-7-2007 by jon]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 01:56

As I haven't resided in US for two decades and never imported chemicals when I did, I can't comment.
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 21:12

the only times I ever imported anything it was from germany of course I made sure it was'nt declared.
the chinese seem willing to mislabel as well they will do anything for a dollar, swim contacted some of thier bulk pharmacuetical firms they were all to happy to label as "creatine commercial sample" I did'nt bite I don't have the balls. could have been a scam anyway they only took tt as payment no recourse.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 22:48

I can't recommend mislabelling a shipment as that is a sure way to get it confiscated if Customs checks it.

There are some repack operations in USA who obviously buy from China in bulk, repack and mark up the price. I haven't used any of them and so can't vouch for them (but I can for some of the Chinese companies I have dealt with.)

The question is going to be, transportation across the Pacific. If the Chinese ship by courier like DHL, cost will be high but at least they will handle Customs for you. The issue will be whether DHL agrees to carry the particular chemicals.

Air freight or ocean freight will mean you will need a customs clearing agent on your end to do your formal entry.

PyBOP ought not to be a hassle, HBTU needs to be wet, depending on qty as it got reclassified as explosive a couple years ago thanks to some EU bullshit. As a consequence industry is now migrating to Cl and other derivatives that are more stable and less of a regulatory nightmare but they are also costlier and harder to find. Fun, isn't it?

Go To Top