Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bose-Einstein Condensates
indigofuzzy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Distilled

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 21:58
Bose-Einstein Condensates

A friend and I were discussing Bose-Einstein condensates the other night. Remembering the article I had seen briefly (back in 1998) in the washington post, which said that a BEC behaves like a "superatom", my friend posed the question: what if a BEC was to be bade from a radioisotope?

We wondered if:
1) would a BEC even form?
2) how would radioactive decay affect the BEC?
3) would the whole thing decay all at once?

I don't know how much knowledge about BEC is floating around, so I figured I'd ask if anyone here has any theories about what would happen...

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DancingRain

26 elements collected so far
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 00:10

I wouldn't get too worked up about hyperbole about chemistry you read in the Washington POST.

B-E condensate can't be made of all elements. Only some.

And thus far the quantities made are miniscule (a few million atoms only)

The effect is that of all the electron shells being at the lowest quantum level.

So why would you expect a radioisotope to behave any differently, assuming that it was an isotope of an element that can undergo Bose-Eistein condensation in the first place?

It's apples and oranges, an electron-shell status versus a variation in the nucleus.

The interesting question would be to consider the density of B-E condensate and apply the consequences to fissionable material, but I strongly suspect that decay heat would defeat laser cooling and evaporative cooling and thus the material would never get anywhere near enough to 0 K to B-E condense.

Was this the sort of thing you were musing about with your first post? Think again. Lasers can and do trigger supercriticality but by heating not cooling.

I think you need more physica and less Washington POST.

[Edited on 12-7-2007 by Sauron]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 13:35

BEC is a very cold and thus low energy, low speed and large dimension (i.e. large De Broglie wavelength) phenomenon. The nuclei are still there, but as far as anyone is concerned they don't exist, shielded by layers of electrons. As with chemistry (itself a much higher energy phenomenon, in the 100s-of-K range / fractional-to-several-eV range), only the outside dimensions, charge and such matter. And for that matter, the atoms probably behave as solid ensembles, without much consideration even for their electrons.

Disclaimer: I don't know much about the physics of a BEC.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 12:06

Go To Top