Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Bucher Process - Starting Out!!!
thelittlestknife
Harmless

Mood: Stoked!

[*] posted on 19-8-2007 at 11:11
The Bucher Process - Starting Out!!!

Ok. So I recently found an interesting recipe called the Bucher Process, which is probably old hat to a lot of the posters on this thread, but I was curious to test it out. Unfortunately the highest training I have in Chemistry is 11th grade(and even that wasn't too good), so I'll do my best to follow.

The Bucher Process (for those who don't know) is producing NaCN from Sodium Carbonate, Carbon and Nitrogen (just good ol' air) and Iron filings as a catalyst.
The Sodium Carbonate can be produced evidently by heating up Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) above 270 *C and I've found a chemistry website that I can obtain lab quality Graphite and Iron Filings. A yield of 5 grams of NaCN requires 5.41 grams of Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3), 2.45 grams of Graphite (Carbon) and 4 grams of Iron Filings (Fe)

My questions regarding this process:
1. What materials will I need? I'm assuming a hot plate that can reach 270 *C and over. Perhaps a crucible for mixing the ingredients and placing on the hot plate for heating, or is there a better vessel? Tongues as not to get burned.
2. How will I know the Sodium Bicarbonate has successfully changed to Sodium Carbonate after heating? How long should I leave the baking soda over heat?
3. When heating the mixture, should I put all of the ingredients in together and then heat, or should I add ingredients intermittently in some precise order?
4. What temperature should I use for the mixture? Will I know when the process is complete?
5. Do I need to use something so separate the NaCN from the remaining Iron Filings?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 19-8-2007 at 11:36

The NaCN is very soluble so separating it from the Fe filings should be quite simple. (and toxic, for god's sake be careful! Please just be a real pussy when you do stuff like this. It may not look cool but being dead isn't very cool either)

Do you have a way to prevent the CN- from being oxidized to CNO-?

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
thelittlestknife
Harmless

Mood: Stoked!

[*] posted on 19-8-2007 at 11:46

I guess this is the frustrating part, given my limited knowledge...

So to seperate the NaCN from the Iron filings I should pour into water? As for keeping the NaCN from oxidizing, I'm up for any suggestions. A vacuum of sorts, or a bag?

Thanks again.
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 19-8-2007 at 12:04

OK, guys. Let's everyone do a bit more study on this before giving advice or getting a Darwin award.

Have you even tried using Google?
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-8-2007 at 12:13

We have an extensive thread on cyanide production. Please post there.

Closed.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top